Villainy Amok - What Would *You* Like To See

GestaltBennie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Solo Scenarios

Originally posted by GestaltBennie

Invictus plot seeds are EASY.

Go to a Republican web site, find the worst things they say about Clinton, and apply them to Invictus.

Then go to a Democratic web site, find the worst things they say about Bush, and apply them too.

Scott Bennie

With as much overlap as there is in these, only one needs to be done in-depth; the other can be skimmed for touch-ups. :P

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You've all been reverse-aged!" A staple plot, one or all characters have been turned into child versions of themselves. It won't work for all characters.

"The mind swap" This is easy. 'okay, everyone hand your character sheets to the guy on your left . . .'

"Time loop" Groundhog day. get things going right. staple plot.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

This is a staple plot indeed -- and an extremely difficult one to implement in a game context.

It might be interesting to set up an extremely difficult task to "win" against and add in the time loop. When they lose the first time, our heroes are horrified as the A Bomb goes of in the downtown core...and they wake up at the start of the same day.

What mistakes did they make that they can correct this time? Once they realize what's happening, how much research can they do? How many off the wall ideas can they try?

Maybe add some stress by providing some clue as to the nature of the loop that suggests it's breaking down and won't last forever (eg. the "day" keeps starting later) so they don't get the sense they have unlimited opportunities.

I think this would be a great inclusion.

Originally posted by lemming

Computer games do it all the time.

"Damn, I died again!?" reload, play over. :D

Ah, but the computer is able to keep track of those tiny little details that give such a story its flow.

In a face-to-face setting, to make this work, the GM would have to first intricately script everything that would happen without the PCs' intervention, and then transcribe every conversation the PCs have, track all combat and Skill rolls, and basically keep nigh-obsessive track of everything that happens during play so it can be duplicated the next time around.

There are just some plot devices that are easier to implement in fiction than in a game.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Ah, but the computer is able to keep track of those tiny little details that give such a story its flow.

In a face-to-face setting, to make this work, the GM would have to first intricately script everything that would happen without the PCs' intervention, and then transcribe every conversation the PCs have, track all combat and Skill rolls, and basically keep nigh-obsessive track of everything that happens during play so it can be duplicated the next time around.

There are just some plot devices that are easier to implement in fiction than in a game.

See, you just need to video tape your games...

Originally posted by death tribble

Definitely the Engineer. Again that is a favoured character.

With Invictus I had him as Reagan's bodyguard and then Bush but he was caught in 92 and imprisoned.

There's a bunch of quite usable characters in Villainy Unbound, so listing them all is a bit like listing the table of contents...

But still, Borealis and Titaness are two other characters that I've found useful, and which were (apparently) created by Scott.

The great Canadian superpatriot Borealis is obvious good fun, and a perfect foil for Invictus to boot.

Titaness is a bit less obvious, since she's basically a flake. The easiest way to handle her is to punch her in the head. But if you have even the slightest sympathies for her beliefs, she becomes a lot more difficult to handle. And the characters I tend to play, do. :)

Re: Seasonal campaigns

christmas stories, halloween stories, etc. All comics, tv shows do something for christmas (although we'd all rather forget the star wars christmas special). Some Suggestions:

How Foxbat stole christmas.

I think season- and holiday-themed game sessions would be a whole 'nuther book (one that I do think DOJ should eventually produce, but not within the next three years).

Re: Villainy Amok - What Would *You* Like To See

Hear is a simple senerio which the title says it all. "Who Wants To Buy Ultraguy's Stolen Powers?"

In general, "The Auction" is a good one - villain auctions off something to various interested parties - captured hero, hero's focus, "secret of X", nuke, etc. and various villains/groups/etc. show up to bid.

There are actually more than one way to approach this. Just off the top of my head I know the Silver Age JLA fought the Crime Syndicate (dimensional opposites)' date=' evil robot doubles, and (I [i']think[/i]) clones.

How about the version where suddenly the players realize they've been playing the clones all this time...?

From another thread ("sniper syndrome). The Body switch is such a classic I can't believe it hasn't already been suggested. Some game issues to cover include players with "new rules" they are't used to, and that one player who can't have ANYONE know about his "secret" powers.

QUOTE:

Here's another possibility for encouraging the Sniper to get into the same game as the rest of the team:

How about a villian (or an environmental side-effect), that causes the heroes to exchange bodies at the outset of the combat?

Now everyone has to make do with their new skill set (GM: "You all feel a brief, but intense feeling of dizziness." Player "I fly up to the top of the building..." GM: "Your boot jets don't seem to be activating, and you feel bulkier than normal somehow..." (Hmm, perhaps he's got the body of the team brick?))

....................................................................................................

This can provide a real break for the routine, and be blast for all involved. (It does depend on a certain amount of player-to-player trust, however.)

Needless to say, as GM you'd have to make sure no-one got killed under another PC's control, that would be unfair!

Another item: The political scenario. You can't punch out the Governor to avoid mutant control legislation. WHat do you do?

This could fit the whole subgenre of scenrios where you must deal with "the system" and powers aren't much help. Examples:

- politics (above)

- legal battles (getting sued for property damage; trying to prove the villain guilty, heroes framed for a crime)

- the orphanage is being foreclosed and the orphans will be on the street - can our heroes fundraise?

These can be tough to run, especially in a combat heavy game. Some tips for enhancing these beyond "OK, roll your PS: Lawyer" skill would be great.

Another item: The political scenario. You can't punch out the Governor to avoid mutant control legislation. WHat do you do?

This could fit the whole subgenre of scenrios where you must deal with "the system" and powers aren't much help. Examples:

- politics (above)

- legal battles (getting sued for property damage; trying to prove the villain guilty, heroes framed for a crime)

- the orphanage is being foreclosed and the orphans will be on the street - can our heroes fundraise?

These can be tough to run, especially in a combat heavy game. Some tips for enhancing these beyond "OK, roll your PS: Lawyer" skill would be great.

Re politics and legal battles, we've had a lot of this in my current campaign. Probably too much, or, at least, too much if we don't reorient a bit in the next few games, take a break for a bit. In any case, I'd be glad to share experiences if anyone has questions. If a separate thread pops up, PM me as I'm way behind on many new threads (and work, I should be signing off shortly!)

Re politics and legal battles' date=' we've had a lot of this in my current campaign. Probably too much, or, at least, too much if we don't reorient a bit in the next few games, take a break for a bit. In any case, I'd be glad to share experiences if anyone has questions. If a separate thread pops up, PM me as I'm way behind on many new threads (and work, I should be signing off shortly!)[/quote']

Hmm, probably means I need to figure out what my combat options are. Spectrum would much rather serve a cease & desist than get hit in the face. ;)

Hmm' date=' probably means I need to figure out what my combat options are. Spectrum would much rather serve a cease & desist than get hit in the face. ;)[/quote']

Don't worry, I'm thoroughly convinced any plans I make will be thoroughly derailed! ;)

Guest Major Tom

I realize that this one is probably going to be a tad on the late side, but how

about a "Homeward Bound" scenario -- one in which the villains involved are

from a parallel Earth and are trying to find their way back to their own world

(ala the Corruptors of All)?

Major Tom :cool:

I realize that this one is probably going to be a tad on the late side, but how

about a "Homeward Bound" scenario -- one in which the villains involved are

from a parallel Earth and are trying to find their way back to their own world

(ala the Corruptors of All)?

You know, I like ideas like this, but I never do them to my liking. It just ends up that the journey is not that challenging, or way too difficult and in both cases it always seems to wrap up too conveniently.

Do you do things like this? Do you have some tips?

Guest Major Tom

Zornwil, the closest I've come to the GM end of things was as an assistant

GM for a GURPS Supers campaign some years ago. However, I am in

the process of putting together stuff for my first HERO System campaign.