UNTIL Supercriminal Tactical Reference Manual

Metaphysician

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Grailknight

I have no problem with that but putting special powers in frameworks triggers my munchkin alarms and DM psych lims.

Funny - I'm known as an extremely lactose intolerant (cheese intolerant) GM and I would allow built in skill levels with a power like missile deflection insofar as it didn't

1) break any active point caps

2) didn't unbalance the game

Actually, it leaves the DM's options open:

NEW* (REVISED) Q: Are powers with the BOECV Advantage subject to the “classes of minds†rules that apply to Mental Powers?

A: No. As noted in the BOECV text, BOECV powers aren’t actually Mental Powers per se. However, in some psionics-oriented campaigns, the GM may choose to have the classes of minds rules affect BOECV powers in the interest of fairness and consistency.

Originally posted by Grailknight

I have no problem with that but putting special powers in frameworks triggers my munchkin alarms and DM psych lims.

In and of itself, I have absolutely no problem with it. There are things that can be done with frameworks that are abusive, but there are also things that can be done without framework that are abusive. Have I mentioned my 2d6, NND, Explosion, 0 END, Autofire that fits nicely under a 60 AP cap on attack powers? It's a 10d6 NND that almost never misses!

And it doesn't even require one of those mean old ECs.

Originally posted by loraxxx

if you have a sorcerer w/ a vp3, then an AE transform--soil to consecrated ground--should be too expensive....

To me, that would be a character based issue.

My character Scales, while having a large enough VPP to transform soil into say a layer of bread crumbs, could not make something consecrated. He's not religious.

However, Captain Good (A religous character in a past game) might be able to just spend some time and make ground consecrated.

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

My take on UNTIL is that since superpowers first appeared during WWII, people would want some kind of international response after decades of seeing the sheer destructive potential of metahumans. I agree that it is highly unlikely that such a group would have the access and power inside US borders that UNTIL has in CU. However, I could see the US government helping establish an agency that can respond in regions that lack the resources to fend off supervillains. It would most likely be dominated by NATO nations and would be unable to intervene without permission of the national government.

I'm working on an idea in which the NATO allies helped Interpol develop a Tactical Response and Counterterrorism(TRAC) branch as a response to VIPER and supervillains. It is like a SWAT Team for Interpol. It is incapable of taking on most Generic Villainous Organizations directly. Rather it is a rapid response that hurts and distracts while an attached military battallion (probably on a rotating basis, I don't know yet) scrambles to follow right behind. It is heavily dominated by the countries that provide the most funding, such as the US, UK, France, etc.

As far as advanced technology is concerned, they can only dream of having UNTIL's resources. However, President Reagan had the idea of testing out advanced weapons systems as part of TRAC when Congress wouldn't fund it in the regular military budget (Star Wars black technology). Therefore, they have some access to advanced tech under the watchful eye of their principal financiers.

It's a work in progress. :)

I use the UNTIL Sourcebook mainly for ideas on organizational structure, names, and gadgets.

or you could take a less technological approach, ala THE EXPERTS OF JUSTICE from GIANT ROBO--make the international response team consist of large numbers of paranormals of various levels of power, but trained to use those powers for maximum effect....

even if the US has the highest concentration of hi-powered types in the world, it's safe to assume that paranormals exist elswhere--have the UN (or interpol) make it their business to find these people and train them as agents....

have regional teams of low/mid powered operatives set up to police specific areas, and have an elite cadre of really hi-powered agents as back up, or for special investigations....

a large number of highly trained paranormals, even low level ones, with military backing could be a pretty effective force against a group like VIPER....