Favorite Champions books from before 5e?

On 8/5/2024 at 8:13 PM, Sketchpad said:

Aaron Allston's Strike Force, Viper (4e), Super Agents, To Serve and Protect, Mind Games, Mystic Masters, The Blood & Dr. McQuark, and Coriolis Effect. If we're talking Hero in general, I'd have to add Danger International and Justice Inc. to my list. 

Oooo.  I forgot the Blood and Dr. McQuark!

Ninja Hero would be my first choice.  It was the first book that explored a portion of the game in great detail.  The great thing about it is you could use parts of it in nearly any type of campaign.  It did not matter if you were running Champions, Fantasy Hero or anything else it had something for nearly any game. 

The Fantasy Hero Companions books were also great.  The different colleges of magic had so many ideas for cool abilities.  I still to this day flip through them for inspiration.  I have used the spells as ideas for more than just magic.  Looking through them has given my ideas for Champions characters.  

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, experience, if the cover said 'Scott' on a Champions product, it was going to be good!

Scott Bennie's 4th Ed VIPER book gave me everything I'd want from an organization book, giving specifics, and yet making it so easy to make my own local VIPER Nest Leader and his/her Nest. That, and Day of the Destroyer both deserve the praise they've already gotten here.

Two of my other favorites were by Scott F. Heine:
To Serve and Protect gave a fully fleshed out superhero team complete with base and backstory and, of course, a challenge for your PCs as they find themselves facing the now zealous "superheroes'. I was very proud of my PCs when they didn't just STOP their foes, but knocked themselves out trying to save them as well. It was a great game that paid off for years in what it lent to my setting.

Mind Games- Hello, PSI. This group rightly terrified my PCs on several levels but with a light hand and more shadow wars, it proved to be a good way to challenge them without over powering them. The villains are well done individually, put them together and you get some delightful soap operatic intrigues that can lead to a lot of plot hooks. Young members in need of rescue, a mole hidden in their ranks, the flamboyant and the the sociopathic; this would be addictive television these days :)

I really like Normals Unbound. A good set of "ordinaries" that can be adapted to most settings.

I kind of like Champions in 3-D, but feel there should be much more about how to create your own dimension.

I'll probably be hated it for this, but I love C.L.O.W.N. 🤡 and Foxbat Unhinged. What can I say; I like weird stuff. 🤪

Zodiac Conspiracy hands down. Fully fleshed out villain team, call signs for combat, various motives- including cross purposes, breakdown into smaller teams for a variety of purposes.

next campaign they will be a major villain group that plagues the PCs over and over. I plan on updating and changing a bit to them.

10 hours ago, carmachu said:

Zodiac Conspiracy hands down. Fully fleshed out villain team, call signs for combat, various motives- including cross purposes, breakdown into smaller teams for a variety of purposes.

next campaign they will be a major villain group that plagues the PCs over and over. I plan on updating and changing a bit to them.

I like that one simply because it's yet another Zodiac-themed group, something I've had books for in four different superhero TTRPG systems now - and fully expect to see more come out within my lifetime.  It's kind of a common trope to be honest, although Champions got one of the best examples of it.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:48 PM, Michael Struck said:

I'll probably be hated it for this, but I love C.L.O.W.N. 🤡 and Foxbat Unhinged. What can I say; I like weird stuff. 🤪

I always liked those two myself.  I can see where they won't work for everyone though.  Humor's really subjective. 

Espionage! changed everything for my gaming group. We had played Top Secret and found it fun, but greatly lacking. Now we had a system we were familiar with, that worked so beautifully in another genre. We soon used Hero System for Twilight2000 and Cthulhu/horror. 

Fantasy Hero. Finally, a chance to create the characters we wanted to play.

Justice, Inc. Tommy Guns, libraries, and things that go “gulp” in the night. Sooo many great moments of real surprise and fear.

From then on we ported everything over to Hero. Star Trek. Star Wars. Die Hard. Westerns. Anything on film or print that caught our attention.