Storn's Looking For Commissions

Rich McGee

I don't see this being talked about on another thread here, and I know some of you have paid to have Champions character art done by Storn in the past (a whole lot of artwork, in at least one case), but if you haven't seen it he's been calling for work over on RPGnet for a couple of weeks now and the latest post makes it sounds like he could really use it.  So go check the link and if you can spare some the funds to give him some business this would be a good time to do so.  Doubly so if you're a publisher or know one who might be interested, since a few commissioned pieces will help but a bunch of art for a commercial project would help more.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised he's having any trouble filling his schedule going by what I've seen of it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Opale said:

Do you know if Storn is usually reactive ?

Noticing this post, my hubby contacted him for some commission two days ago, but without even a notice his message was read.

I can't say from experience (although Death Tribble probably can), but it looks like he hasn't been on RPG.net since Thursday (same day as your spouse contacted him) so he may just not have seen it if he hasn't been online.  I sent him a PM over there giving him a heads up to check his inbox or the thread here.

Hope you manage to connect okay.   

20 hours ago, Rich McGee said:

I can think of much worse surprise gifts.  My sister got a gas can and jumper cables for Christmas one year from the guy she'd been dating for five years.  He didn't make it to six.  ;)

If my wife comes to her senses and walks out, tell him to call me!

:lol:

Edited by Duke Bushido

22 hours ago, Opale said:

Do you know if Storn is usually reactive ?

Noticing this post, my hubby contacted him for some commission two days ago, but without even a notice his message was read.

I am very reactive.  I have not seen any prospective commissions in about a week and half.    Please tell him I'm sorry, I might have missed it, and I have been cleaning out my spam and it might have gotten caught in there.  

1 hour ago, Storn said:

I am very reactive.  I have not seen any prospective commissions in about a week and half.    Please tell him I'm sorry, I might have missed it, and I have been cleaning out my spam and it might have gotten caught in there.  

What sort of prices are we talking about?  @Christopher R Taylor is producing a Champions Next book for beginning GMs/players.  I might be in a place to sponsor a bit of art for that project.

Doc

28 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

What sort of prices are we talking about?  @Christopher R Taylor is producing a Champions Next book for beginning GMs/players.  I might be in a place to sponsor a bit of art for that project.

Doc

On a similar vein I'm putting out ideas for...Hey! That is MY name for stuff I'll never publish myself. I think @ChistopherRTaylor thing is Champions Classics.

Not that I'm not honored at the mistaken phrase.

This is the link to the project.

Edited by Stanley Teriaca

Here is a recent commission.  

Prices are complicated.  Private commissons are easy, but working for publishers, that runs the gamut.  Depending on how difficult and time consuming the art is, to what kind of rights that publisher wants...the most expensive being work for hire (publisher owns all rights).  

If you have a question about my prices, drop me a line at storn.cook@gmail.com

Brickhouse 72.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Recent private commission.

My life has drastically changed of late. Due to my wife's health issues, she had to step back from working. As a professor, nurse etc, her earning potential has always been WAY better than mine.

I need a regular paycheck and so, I've become a Fed, well, a postal worker. A rural carrier. I will still do artwork from time to time, just not at the rate I used to. The AI explosion has killed my private commissions. I used to get 10 or so a month. Now, I'm lucky to get 1.

Since I don't need to have my artwork pay the mortgage anymore, I'm oddly going to raise my prices. I can afford to be choosy and now spend more time on projects in between delivering mail.

Thanks for reading this long screed. Have a great day and keep on keepin' on.

Hotsuma F72.png

Sorry to hear it.  I wish you and your wife luck.

As someone who used to paint miniatures for a living (a field that's benefited from AI rather than suffered from it so far, although that won't last) private commissions were never worth doing, where doing forces for spec sales on ebay and gaming forums was quite productive as long you knew what you were doing.  Very different market than 2D illustration work, of course..  

Edited by Rich McGee