How to build Yondu’s Arrow?

Steve

It is a multiplayer full of Ranged Killing Attacks. At it's base is Indirect. Second is an Autofire Indirect. Third is Indirect Area Of Effect (Any). If you want to do anything more fancy, build the arrow as a construct with flight as it's only movement and buy a Summon to unleash it (like how they build Darkside's Omega Beams in Champions Powers book).

The Multipower build is probably the most straightforward approach. Just because I like to think outside of the box when I can, my first instinct was also to build it as a Summon, also. Sadly, it seems I am still within the bounds of normalcy. 

In the interest of presenting options, I could also building it as a ranged Martial Art with either an Indirect RKA or a Telekinetically-controlled HKA.

1 hour ago, Haerandir said:

In the interest of presenting options, I could also building it as a ranged Martial Art with either an Indirect RKA or a Telekinetically-controlled HKA.

Check with your GM first, of course.  Your GM might denied the entire thing for being too thuggly.

Of course if your the GM, then never mind. Nothing more to see here.

It may in fact not be the arrow that is special at all, it could have all been Yondu. His super power -- Telekinesis, with an incantation (the wistling), gestures (moving his finger to direct the arrow) an obvious accessible focus (the arrow). How powerful his power is up to you.

RKA indirect 0 END

Rapid Attack

Scads of penalty skill levels to offset Rapid Fire.

That's pretty much the package for "I shoot a lot of people all in one round", right? And it's very cost-effective

19 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I would probably build that as a summon, and make a flying small creature with a killing attack move through and high speed.  The whistling is giving orders.

I would agree 100% because I've used this build for other similar effects, but Yondu's arrow deploys crazy fast and I don't think there's any way to bypass Summon's mandatory one-phase delay.

Edited by JackValhalla

Actually it takes a while every time he uses it, if you'll watch closely.  He whistles it, it hovers dramatically, he looks around, then he sends it out.  But you could have him summon it previously and have it ready to deploy.  Alternately it could be a follower.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

While summons works from a technical point, my objection to doing it that way is that it needlessly complicates things.  With the summon you end up having to have another character sheet and creates more to keep track of.   It could also mean that the character controlling the arrow gets more actions if directing the arrow does not take his turn.  This means the GM is spending more time on one player at the expense of the others.  If the player can summon more than one arrow it has the potential to really dominate the game.

The multipower method is simple and does not have the potential to bog down the game as much.  

I'm not sure but it seems like the best way is just an area effect, selective target, no range would be the best way to do it. The others just seem to be making it too complicated then it needs to be.

Not to complicate it more, may just be a special-effect. You need the control fin as well otherwise it doesn't really do anything at all but look pretty (and stabby).

Personally I always liked the version in the comics more.

guard3000s.jpg

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

I hadn’t considered Indirect, but that makes sense with the AoE. Thanks all.

I'm not sure if you need Indirect on a no range AoE Radius effect, considering they are already within the AoE. The chance I would say that it wouldn't work is if they have a barrier completely around them. 

4 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

I'm not sure but it seems like the best way is just an area effect, selective target, no range would be the best way to do it. The others just seem to be making it too complicated then it needs to be.

Yeah that would be my backup method: just an AE attack with selective.  The delay between hits is just special effect.

Yondu's arrow:  RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (16 2m Areas; +3/4) (79 Active Points); OAF (-1), Incantations (Complex; -1/2), Limited Range (active pts in meters; -1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4)26 pts real cost

3 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

I'm not sure if you need Indirect on a no range AoE Radius effect, considering they are already within the AoE. The chance I would say that it wouldn't work is if they have a barrier completely around them. 

That’s a good point. I suppose I could just return to an AoE build.

In case your wondering about the link about package deals for SAT agents, I did a weapon writeup for the SFG, and one of the rounds is the CAB (Course Altering Bullet) built with Indirect. You COULD use the writeup as a start for your Yondu's Arrow by adding AoE, Selective, and remove all the gun stuff on it (it is even questionable about buying it as a focus because Yondu was only deprived of it in one movie, and only because he was deprived if the control fin, so if he must have a focus limitation it is IIF Control Fin, and even Incarnations is questionable because has he ever been gagged and prevented from whistling?)