World Creation Superdraft 8: July 2024

She looked like a woman, and one time she was. Whether she was a human, a Valvi, a Gremlin or what, no one knows. She always looked like a woman of  the folk she was meeting now, and she always wore black.
She was a fair hand at shamanism, and a damned good shot. And that was when she was mortal. Some say she grew sick of those suffering from poor choices, of facing consequences that seemed too much for one mistake. Others said she actually sought immortality.  And that, they say, is when she tried to take down Kjósa.
By 'take down' stories vary as to meaning. Some say she just wanted to trap the goddess, not kill her. Some say she wanted to take Kjósa's place so she could do the job better. Armed with a weapon of incredible power, and again the stories very on what sort, she met the goddess of the crossroads, hoping to catch her at her weakest.
And stories say, in another world, on another path, the mortal in black won and took Kjósa's power for her own! And she closed the many options to make the few. All would make the right choices, because only the right choices remained. It soon... got out of hand. However noble or selfish her cause was, the stranger found without variety , without ethical choices, the peoples of the world became bland automatons losing their own flavor and ways. She didn't know how to open the cross roads she had closed, as once no longer crossroads, they fell beyond her repair.
The woman in black despaired, and saw only one way out. To let the world vanish from her, she had to vanish from the world. She took the weapon she had killed Kjósa with, and took her own life.
She did not wake in the Aether. She was not reforged, nor reincarnated.
She found herself kneeling at the crossroads.
And there was Kjósa looking down, "I had really hoped you'd think it through and stop yourself in time. Did you really think you could escape the consequences of this?"
The woman in black looked about and realized something.
"What's my name?" It was gone from her mind, possibly ripped from her soul.
"You don't get one, a name is a choice, and you have no choices, not any more, You're the woman in black. Rise." Kjósa ordered, and the Woman in Black did. She did not rise like a person rises, with practice of choosing to put one leg up up then another . She rose like a sun or moon would rise, without choice.
"Follow," Kjósa said. And once more, the Woman in Black obeyed. Defiance wasn't an option, not any longer. They walked and spanned the world for a time.
People were making mistakes, again. Consequences, just , soft, and overblown, were occurring again. It was not always right, or just. Indeed ,far too often it was not just. But it also was not Kjósa's fault. She was not all powerful, and the Woman in Black realized that no one god had control over how things SHOULD be, and had to, like mortals, struggle with making the best of how things are.
"Rotten, petty, miserable as what this is," Kjósa gestured to the souls triumphs and tragedies, "THIS is what they all had. What they all had. In a world so unfair, at least they could pick their gambles, take their chances, face their paths rewards and pains." The goddess turned her icy gaze upon the Woman in Black, "And. You. Took. That. From. Them."
And the woman in black paled, as the full ramifications of her own choice slowly began to sink in. No doubt, she'd like it if the story portrayed her as stoic, and willing to accept her fate, but in truth? She begged. She was still mortal enough to beg and look for a way out.
But she wasn't mortal enough.
Kjósa saw to that, "You won't die," Kjósa assured the Woman in Black, "You will know injury, pain, and yes, some pleasure, but you won't know death. THAT avenue is closed to you just as you sought to close paths to others. You are strong. Fast, and deadly. And you will be a terror to many, a heroine to others. What you won't have? Choice. Only consequences await you. That is the Consequence of your attempt to usurp the balance. You will kill who I tell you to kill, you will save who I tell you to save. You will never know rest, not really. You will no sooner shut your eyes, but then find yourself on a new cross road with a new mission. You will feel your fingers tighten about your weapons, further enchanted by me. You will see where your gaze falls as you move to your target, to hurt or help. But you will not choose. You will do what i Have put into you to do. Like a machine with a heart trapped in it."
"Please," The Woman in Black said again, "I won't do it again. I'll never try again."
"You still don't GET It, do you?" Kjósa's icy cold rage went to fiery in a moment, "it's not my PLACE to forgive you. It is not any god's place to FORGIVE, though we can.  It's not normally my place to CONDEMN. A mortal who has wrong another mortal finds forgivness or redemption thanks to the other mortals around him or her allowing it! Mortals wail and gnash their teeth crying justice when they are wronged, yet they simper and beg for mercy when they are caught wronging another. Some with real repentance, others merely to save their hides. Yet you don't give what you plead for. You beg for mercy for yourselves, but don't ask it for ones who wronged you. I can understand that. I can, but really, if you want to complain about how unfair the world is, look to yourselves just a bit more, eh? Is it really THAT hard to see?"
And Kjósa went cold again "Anyway, for your crime of taking away choice and consequence you lose the former and deal with the latter. You are the woman in black. Out-lander, Renegade, scourge, and savior. You have but a few chances for this new role to end. I will tell you one of them."
The closest thing to hope the Woman in Black rose in her chest. Her heart still beat, but the tempo never changed, not when she was at rest, not when she as excited. It was better, she supposed, than no heart beat at all, "How can it end?"
"When as many mortals as you once controlled forgive you for the crime you did. In this, the mercy of mortals IS your salvation," Kjósa explained, "Good luck with that, it is a great number. Follow... your punishment is at hand, your redemption uncertain."
And the Woman in Black, she who tried to become a goddess, followed, her paths no longer hers to choose.

Stronger, durable, deadly, immortal... and yoked by her own hubris..

Mythic Monster/Guardian: The Woman in Black

089d15a10ad49b3c0d3af03127f16e91.jpg

Player Psybolt, God Tomfoolery, God of Humour

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Bamfs

• Gift to Civilization. Music

• Flora/Fanua/Ore: 

• Interference. 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. 

• Secondary Domain. Drama

• Secondary Domain. Tragedy

• Secondary Domain. Performing arts 

Flora/Fanua/Ore:  Marijuana 

2 minutes ago, Psybolt said:

Player Psybolt, God Tomfoolery, God of Humour

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Bamfs

• Gift to Civilization. Music

• Flora/Fanua/Ore: 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Drama

• Secondary Domain. Tragedy

• Secondary Domain. Performing arts 

Flora/Fanua/Ore:  Marijuana 

Oddly, I thought Pooftah would be providing that. It's the name, I think :)

Everyone has one. The Many feed the One and give it strength. When life's annoyances are too great, the great Beast will arise, and wipe one's trouble away. It's very presence as it rampages over hill and dale, demolishing everything in its path, puts one's minor grievances in place. Dagnabbit thinks he may have overdone the collateral damage on this one, but it's for a good cause. And it doesn't take much rampaging to restore one's perspective.

Mythic Monster-Guardian: The Pet Peeve

Edited by Pattern Ghost

Player Hermit, Goddess of the Crossroads, Kjósa
    Geography: The Transcontinental Rail Network of Kjósa (Located on the Continent of Quidsi!)
    Sentient Life: Valvi (The Antlered folk, the trespassers, etc)
    Gift to Civilization: Shamanism
    Flora/Fauna/Ore:
    Interference:
    Mythic Monster or Guardian: The Woman In Black
    Secondary Domain: Choices and their consequences!
    Secondary Domain: Ethics (Situational or otherwise)
    Secondary Domain:

Player Dagnabbit, Goddess of the Crossroads, Kjósa
    Geography: The Transcontinental Rail Network of Kjósa (Located on the Continent of Quidsi!)
    Flora/Fauna/Ore:
    Interference:
    Secondary Domain:

😉

Edited by Pattern Ghost

Tranvers liked the humans. They amused him. Despite their inherent sloppiness, they had their charms. But he didn’t see them in Arboretia. For one thing, they were clumsy, and sometimes afraid of heights. They were inventive, but not industrious. A certain laziness infected them, made them fat. If he were to design them, he would change a few things.

And so he did.

The basic bipedal model was fine, so he used that as a base. Then he amplified their metabolisms. Longer ears and sharper eyes enhanced their senses. They lived shorter lives than humans, but they matured faster and were a lot more active in their shortened spans. He gave them long, slender fingers capable of incredible dexterousness. Like his sister, he took some ideas from the beasts. They had small claws at the ends of their fingers and toes allowing them to climb with ease. They did not fear the treetops, or the tall bridges over the chasms and waterways. They feared no heights.

The Ocardi, as he called them, were industrious workers, though not quite as creative as the humans. (That was, after all, the human signature.) Then he added a touch of divine spark which they put to great use as they explored shamanism.

Sentient race: The demihuman Ocardi

image.jpeg.be8342496c287d7b70ad46f2da42a02d.jpeg

Geez, are we up to six picks already?

Umbscurnox spake:

"I know what you're doing in the dark, mortals.

And I approve."

Secondary domain: Romance

mindfulsex.jpg

"Wait, not you.  Ew!  That's just wrong"

Player: Old Man, God: Umbscurnox, God of The Dark

• Geography. The Aether Currents of the Infinite Blackness of the Heavens

• Sentient Life.

• Gift to Civilization.

• Flora/Fauna/Ore: 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Safety

• Secondary Domain. The Heavens

• Secondary Domain. Romance

Player: Pattern Ghost, God: Dagnabbit, God of Minor Annoyances

• Geography:

• Sentient Life: Gremlins

• Gift to Civilization: Allergies

• Fauna/Flora/Ore:

• Interference: Traffic Jams

• Mythic Monster or Guardian: The Pet Peeve

• Secondary Domain: Puns

• Secondary Domain: Perseverance

• Secondary Domain:

Edited by Pattern Ghost

They were just big dumb animals she had made on a lark back in the days of the world primeval, before steam tech had grown common. It was before even the Valvi had arrived. These animals were swift and fierce and dangerous omnivore predators. They would be hunt Orcadi, Gremlins, Bamfs and Humans alike and be hunted in turn for their meat. As technology improved, the balance shifted to the tool using sentient species but it was never completely safe as the beasts were larger than most sentient species with natural weapons.

When her Uncle made proper roads, the great beasts often crossed back and forth over them, seemingly without reason. It was Tomfoolery’s fault. That stupid question she put in his head when Kjósa first noticed the avian behavior. Back and forth, back and forth- why? Was it because SHE had made them that they did that?

Then the clever mortals started doing more than hunting them, and that changed everything! Before powered vehicles were possible, the mortals still could be very bright. They saw the speed at which their feathered enemy could move. And rather than hunt them for food, they captured their young, and over a long process began to breed them, seeking to encourage traits of obedience, lifting capacity, speed, and overland stamina!

It happened so quickly, as gods know time, that Kjósa wasn’t even sure which group of mortals did it first as it happened close to evenly among more than one. The Valvi came late, but took to it fast! They were a traveling people after all, but it was likely the humans. Brother had been right, there was much potential in humans after all.

Not that she’d admit that.

Regardless of who did it first, these feathered fiends became the first mounts, and while made less relevant by technology that came after, not everyone had access to trains, ships or the like. The creatures SHE had released in the early days for mere creations practice were now kept as transport AND a source of food alike.

And she smiled to her brother “I figured out Tomfoolery’s riddle!”

“What Riddle?” he asked.

“Why did the Gigagallus cross the road?” Kjósa reminded him, “He asked me that once and bet me I wouldn’t figure it out before three hundred years was up. I’ve watched them for centuries, sorting it out, and I know the answer! To get Domesticated!” She was so pleased, “I found my answer with fifty years to spare! Tomfoolery lost the bet!”

Tranvers loved his sister, but couldn’t help give her a look somewhere between amusement and sympathy as he realized his sometimes obsessive sister had spent a part of her focus for centuries on...well, what was essentially giant chicken study, “Did he though? Did he really?”

Her response to that, if any, is lost to the ages.

Fauna Pick: Gigagallus (Giant Riding Chickens)

fedef3d730f619a82c5a1699251b60b3.jpg

(Hopefully Psybolt is okay with Tomfoolery being a catalyst for this, but the fiction can be dropped/change if not :) )

Souls do not need to occupy bodies of meat. Not when the Entelechy of Engineering decides otherwise.

Gods can do much, but Jarnvoldir decided he needed assistants. He snagged some of the souls passing through the Forge Divine and incarnated them in bodies of metal that moved by clockwork and steam. These were the first Taloi, the Forge-Folk, "children" of Jarnvoldir. Devotees of the Forge God often pray for this to become their next incarnation.

Over time, taloi appeared on the surface world, too. Indeed, mortals can build them -- though only smiths of great skill can build their complex bodies, and it takes a shgaman to imbue the new talos with a soul. And while taloi are often built for particular purposes -- war taloii with built-in guns are the most famous, or infamous -- taloi are people with machine bodies, not mere machines, and so they have free will and can change their interests. Not all of them take humanoid form, either, and taloi can have themselves rebuilt as their interests change. They vary as much as any other mortals in their motivations (though hostility to gremlins is common, for reasons that should be obvious).

Sapient Race: The Taloi, Souls in Steel and Brass

evil_robot_cowboy_by_emilgoska_dcn65pb-f

the_conductor_by_travis_anderson_db7w593

dgjiwgu-20a817f5-4231-4ae9-bee5-45c19768

d6hsvoc-50fea624-4f96-476b-8638-92035f8b

glass_of_beer_under_the_zeppelin_by_danc

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

It started simply with wood. Branches, primarily, some tree trunks. Then vines and lashes were added. Stones were utilized. Tranvers’ construction was serviceable, and far above what the mortals could achieve until he showed them. He… and one other. Another god crafted more durable goods because he had a new resource: metal. Jarnvoldir’s creation of the strong, malleable substance changed things. Tranvers probably could have asked. Why didn’t he? Pride? Envy? Fear of rejection?  It doesn’t matter now, that was long ago and feelings have mended. Mostly.

What matters is that Tranvers stole the secret of metal and he worked it into his creations. Slowly at first, so subtly that the casual observer wouldn’t notice. Who sees the individual nails in a house?  Then he got bolder, and soon there was no denying his use of the proprietary stuff. But it was out there now. Some by his hand, some by Jarnvoldir’s. Civilization had crossed that bridge, and there was no going back now.

Interference: Stealing the secret of metal

High_Steel_Bridge,_Shelton.jpg

Update

Tranvers, God of Bridges, twin brother to Kjósa, Goddess of Crossroads

• Geography: Arboretia, The Highest City
  • Sentient Life: The Ocardi, demi-humans  
  • Gift to Civilization: Architecture
  • Fauna/Flora/Ore: Colossals, Giant 300-400 ft. trees
  • Interference: Stolen secret of METAL
  • Mythic Monster or Guardian:
    • Bonus Mythic Monster or Guardian:
  • Secondary Domain: Connections
  • Secondary Domain: Ropework
  • Secondary Domain: 

Player Hermit, Goddess of the Crossroads, Kjósa  (Twin sister to Tranvers God of Bridges)
    Fauna: Gigagallus (Giant Riding Chickens)

Interference:
    Secondary Domain:

"What do you mean my brother STOLE the Secret of Steel?" Kjósa looked at one of her more trusted shaman who had reached a higher spiritual plane to speak to her so directly.

"I speak of Tranvers, God of Bridges and..." The Shaman started to explain only to be cut off.

"I KNOW his name! He's my twin. What do you mean by STOLE?"Kjósa gawked at the shaman, "And before you say it, yes I know  Jarnvoldir's name too!"

"Well, more like, learned the secret then spread it around some? For his bridges, he wanted stronger, longer and more flexible ones..."

"HE LOVES his bridges," Kjósa thought herself a reasonable god, but her brother could just rile her up without even being there some days.

"Like you love Crossroads," The Shaman said helpfully and with serene understanding.

Irksome that.

"Totally different," Kjósa said, "Crossroads are cool and mystical. Bridges just get you places."

The Shaman decided not to pursue that line of discussion and moved back to the original one "Well, no one knows how ,or IF Jarnvoldir will react to this..."

Kjósa sighed, "Maybe I can talk to The Forge God about it, keep everything on an even keel. No real harm done. He still gets glory for using it first and IS the master of it's use."

The Shaman kept on, "And a lot of our people, the theologically invested anyway, are waiting to see how YOU respond to this."

Kjósa looked at the high shaman, "Beg Pardon? Why would they be invested in how I react?"

"Well," the Shaman shrugged, "You ARE the goddess of Choices and their consequences.. so will he face consequences? You're also the goddess of Ethics...." He did not add the situational or otherwise part, "And some would say however well intended, Tranvers was a bit UNethical. And your immediate response was to smooth things over which might seem a bit less like consequences and ethics, and more like an attempt at nepo..." Suddenly the Aether in his area seemed to wobble and he found himself draining down towards his body.

"I'm sorry, you're breaking up, can't hear you... we'll have to try later," Kjósa's voice could be heard though it sounded further away and staticy, "Lovely to chat though. Hug your wives and kids for me."

As she cut off the divine communion early, Kjósa looked around for an Aspirin, but realized this world might not yet have any. Well, Tomfoolery's marijuna would have to do for now. She needed time to think and hope this blew over.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

Fauna Pick: Gigagallus (Giant Riding Chickens)

fedef3d730f619a82c5a1699251b60b3.jpg

(Hopefully Psybolt is okay with Tomfoolery being a catalyst for this, but the fiction can be dropped/change if not :) )

For some obscure reason, I'm reminded of the three doomsday roosters in Norse myth, who crow to announce it's time for Ragnarok.

Dean Shomshak

2 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

For some obscure reason, I'm reminded of the three doomsday roosters in Norse myth, who crow to announce it's time for Ragnarok.

Dean Shomshak

(That sounds Classier than the stuff in MY head.. mmm)Oo.

YEAH, TOTALLY what I was going for!! Great minds eh?

(Let's hope they bought it)Oo.

;)

16 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Thinking bears!? 

Run Away GIF

Aren't there sapient, technological bears in the His Dark Materials trilogy? I seem to remember seeing that in the movie of The Golden Compass.

Not that I'm suggesting anything. I merely note that it has been done.

Dean Shomshak