Pittsburgh in the CU

Mark Rand

Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Arts Festival is winding down.  (It ends June 9.)  Upcoming, we have the EQT Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta.  Other events include The Great Race, The Pittsburgh Marathon, and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (a 10-day festival of car shows and races).

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Arts Festival is winding down.  (It ends June 9.)  Upcoming, we have the EQT Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta.  Other events include The Great Race, The Pittsburgh Marathon, and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (a 10-day festival of car shows and races).

Nice to hear it. If it is summer in Milwaukee and a weekend, there is a lakeside fest over at the lakeside.

Edited by Stanley Teriaca

Pittsburgh was home to a Rubber Duck sculpture in 2013.  The "bathtub" it floated in was the Allegheny River, near PNC Park (the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball Club) and the Roberto Clemente Sixth Street Bridge.

If the Clemente Bridge was a drawbridge, the tenders would be on the top floor of the old Fulton Building, now a Renaissance Hotel.  When the duck was being positioned, the member of the three-person, all-female tender crew on duty would've sounded a duck call before making announcements instead of the usual bos'n's call.  If a tender saw Foxbat, she might sound it for him, too.

When there are events at either PNC Park or Aerisure Stadium (formerly Heinz Field), the Clemente Bridge is closed to vehicles while people are going to the event.

If the Clemente, Andy Warhol, and Rachel Carson Bridges are drawbridges, they would be locked down as ordered by the Pittsburgh government.

Whoever is on duty at the end of the Pirates, Steelers, or Pitt Panthers home game gives the final score.  If the Pirates win, the announcement ends with "RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!"

The Pennsylvania Turnpike, part of the Interstate Highway System, is designated as part of Interstate 76 (I-76) between the Ohio state line and Valley Forge, I-70 runs concurrent with I-76 between New Stanton and Breezewood, Interstate 276 (I-276) between Valley Forge and Bristol Township, and I-95 from Bristol Township to the New Jersey state line.

Interstate 279 (I-279) is also known as the Parkway North and is entirely within Allegheny County.  It runs from I-376 at the Fort Pitt Bridge to Franklin Park Township.

Interstate 376 (I-376) within Allegheny County, the route runs along the majority of the Penn-Lincoln Parkway, known locally as Parkway West and Parkway East.  Parts of it are designated either US Route 22 or US Route 30.

Interstate 579 (I-579) is 2.73 miles (4.39 km) long.  I-579 is also known as the Crosstown Boulevard since it crosses the backside of Downtown Pittsburgh.  The northern terminus of I-579 is at I-279 beyond the north end of the Veterans Bridge; the southern terminus splits to the Liberty Bridge southbound and Boulevard of the Allies eastbound, which leads to I-376 east.  The intersection of I-579 and I-279 is in one direction only; northbound traffic on I-579 can proceed only northbound on I-279 while only southbound traffic on I-279 can exit onto I-579.