NFL 2024-25

I saw the score, but hadn't looked past it.

How did the Giants accomplish this? They had punter Jamie Gillan miss the first extra point attempt after kicker Graham Gano injured his right hamstring chasing down Commanders running back Austin Ekeler on the opening kickoff -- a day after Gano was listed on the injury report with a right groin injury. 

With no backup kicker on the active roster, the Giants didn't attempt an extra point after Gillan's miss. The Giants went for two on their other two touchdowns, but failed to convert both times. Hence scoring 18 points on three touchdowns.

The Athletic had an article on this, *ripping* Daboll and the Giants for how they totally botched the Gano situation, in basically every way possible.  Let Gillan kick off.  Make a backup kicker active, instead of 2 extra linebackers.  IIRC, they only had 52 players on the 53-man...so there were several ways to bring in a backup kicker.

And 7 possessions for 7 scores. Commanders win ToP 37:30 to 22:30.  Drives were 64, 43, 74, 56, 59, 45, and finally 65 for the game winner on the last play, after the Giants tie the game with 2:04 to go.  Commanders even had 10 penalties, Giants only 5.

My oh my, oh my, oh my..............................

Falcons slam the ball down the Eagles' throats, down 6 with about 1:40, to punch it it...and take the lead with the PAT even after an unsportsmanlike conduct call making it a 45 yard attempt.  

Welcome it the insanity that is early-season NFL football.

Austin Mock, The Athletics' simulations and betting guy:

We kick this week off with a four-play card involving some ugly teams. But hey, I think there is an argument that almost two-thirds of the NFL is ugly right now, maybe even higher. 

Separate story:

Young’s benching just two games into yet another Panthers rebuilding season raises a whole slew of questions about the wisdom and foresight of Carolina’s brass. Young’s rapid fall from grace also serves as another example of the impatience and impulsiveness that far too often governs (and muddles) quarterback decisions across the NFL.

Another once-promising prospect is at risk of ruin. Another franchise remains stuck in purgatory. As a familiar storyline plays out, and as other young quarterbacks stumble out of the gate this season, it feels like the NFL has a quarterback development crisis on its hands.

From the Athletic this morning...the links are probably paywalled.

• Carolina radically failed Young, whom they selected at No. 1 just last season — after trading a treasure trove of assets to do so. Just 18 games later, Young is out of a job, having already played for three head coaches and multiple play callers. It’s easy to say he never had anything close to a fair chance. His time in Carolina is probably over.

• Yet Young deserves plenty of blame here, too. He has never looked comfortable at this level and has markedly regressed this year. The Athletic’s Mike Sando told me this week that Young’s 5-foot-10 frame made him a dangerous outlier for anyone to take at No. 1, much less a player to mortgage the future for. Turn on Young's tape, and you’ll see his struggles. I thought this week's segment on his disappointing film from “The Athletic Football Show” was particularly insightful.

• Zoom out, and this is a symptom of the NFL’s financial system overall. Teams are encouraged to play rookie QBs early and often in the hopes of contending before a massive QB extension kicks in and makes it harder to build an elite team. Sometimes this works out (see: Stroud, C.J., drafted one pick behind Young). Young is the floor here, a combination of rushed development, small stature and front-office instability.

If Young, 23, never starts another game for the Panthers, it is one of the largest organizational failures in NFL history. Panthers coach Dave Canales says Young can still be a franchise quarterback, but I doubt that’s anytime soon. 

The problem with expecting this to dramatically impact the league's handling of young QBs is...it didn't before.  Young's not the first.  Remember...not Derek, but his much older brother, DAVID Carr?  5 disastrous, awful, HORRIBLE years in Houston...76 sacks his rookie year, 68 his 4th year.  Hung on as a backup for a few more years, never doing anything...but getting a Super Bowl ring for a season where he didn't play a down.  Karma, of a sort.  Similar story here, a kid QB rushed to play on a terrible team.

And even on the trade angle...heck, the Trey Lance trade/draft was 2021.  The league *doesn't* learn.

Once again, I will not be watching the Broncos game this weekend, because it is not being shown where I live. Instead, I get Philly at New Orleans. Other locally available games feature Carolina at Vegas and Baltimore at Dallas.

Bleh.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Once again, I will not be watching the Broncos game this weekend, because it is not being shown where I live. Instead, I get Philly at New Orleans. Other locally available games feature Carolina at Vegas and Baltimore at Dallas.

Bleh.

I gotta agree with Logan.  Thank Fox for trying to reduce your misery load...well, in the early slot.  Feel free to curse them for inflicting the Cowboys on almost everyone again.

Hmm, my choice is Saints or Texans in the early slot.  That's actually interesting.  Probably have to see if Carr's legit.

16 minutes ago, death tribble said:

For those not on American TV schedule are there two Monday Night games this week and if so why ?

Yes, there are 2 MNF games.  One kicks off at the usual time for the night broadcast, the other kicks off 45 minutes before that.

Why?  Because Disney wants to make more money.  Is there ever any other motive?

WHOA...taking a look at the various scores at halftime just now...

Browns are FLAILING.  41 yards of offense...4 sacks.  They're doing the near-impossible, making Daniel Jones look like a Pro Bowler...17/19 for 180???  And with no running game, so I gotta figure, VERY little pass rush impact by the Browns.  Browns get one big break...Giants fumble the opening kickoff, Browns score on one play...but it's 21-0 since.  And this is against the Giants...a strong contender for the #2 pick in the draft.  (Yeah, the #1 pick's probably known already, IMO.)

Saints' offense is likely missing the starting lineman that went out really early, but...still.  Only 3 points in the first half.  Flip side, Eagles' offensive woes are continuing from the latter part of the Falcons game...

Bucs are also sputtering on both sides.....

18 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I'm happy, hope you're happy too

HOW CAN I BE HAPPY WHEN YOU"RE HAPPY??????????????????????????

(don't mind me, the meds ran out a few days ago.............)

A little too early to say Caleb Williams is following in the footsteps of Bryce Young...but he's not looking good at all.  4 more sacks, 2 picks?  Not good.

Steelers are 3-0?  Perhaps the flashy big-name QB *isn't* needed.

Cowboy defense is also stinking up the joint.  270+ yards and 3 TDs in the first half.  They blow a shot at the end of the half...PI at the goal line, but offensive holding offsets it.  They have to settle for another FG, and they're not gonna win this game with FGs.  Ravens get the ball to start the 2nd half and could wrap it up.

Still...Branden Aubrey is turning into a superstar...well, as much as a kicker can be.  Hit from 65 (!)...with yards to spare.  Then hit from 51 at the end of the half.  Cowboys had 6 seconds...they kicked the FG.  Going for a TD again would be against the odds.  Going for a quick out to get 5-7 yards...in the past that might've been an option.  But Aubrey hit his 15th FG of 50+ *in a row*.  There's no point in even trying to improve the position.

OK, so Bryce Young may have been part of the problem.  With Dalton......Panthers are up 24-7.  I'll give the Raiders a bit of a pass if they're flat-footed for this one......

The Panthers are winning. Is this allowed ?

Granted they are playing the Raiders but still....

Re the Eagles vs the Saints. The Eagles scored 15 points in the 4th quarter, now is that 5 field goals or two touchdowns with 1 regular extra point and one two point extra point or is that two touchdowns with no extra point and a filed goal ?

And it looks like the Ravens ate their Weetabix this morning.

Oh and Uncleave Lad ?

I'll be happy next weekend as well. Because the Cycling World Championship Road Race will be on just like the Time Trail was on today.

Speaking of...the Jags actually have consecutive games in London., 2nd and 3rd weeks in October.  Wonder if they're planning to just stay over.  I'd think so;  the flight's over 4000 miles long.  That'd actually be kinda cool.  Actually have a chance to see some of the sights.  One's Tottenham, the other's Wembley, but that's minor.

Mmm...a thought from earlier.  Wonder how much longer Dallas is gonna continue to get credit for a strong game against the Browns.

Also, anyone else note just how loud it was, when the Ravens did something good?  Sure sounded like a strong contingent of fans there.  That was true with KC tonight too, but that's somewhat understandable, given the recent histories of the Falcons and Chiefs.  Chiefs are pretty much the NFL's model franchise right now, and despite strident claims otherwise, if anyone might be called America's Team...it's the Chiefs.

45 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Also, anyone else note just how loud it was, when the Ravens did something good?  Sure sounded like a strong contingent of fans there.  That was true with KC tonight too, but that's somewhat understandable, given the recent histories of the Falcons and Chiefs.  Chiefs are pretty much the NFL's model franchise right now, and despite strident claims otherwise, if anyone might be called America's Team...it's the Chiefs.

Refs sure called the game like they were Chiefs fans.  And the Chiefs themselves play like they've gotten lazy.  Mahomes didn't even look like he wanted to be there.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Vikings-Jets in London in two weeks!  Can we get a Tribble in there?

The tickets go very rapidly and I don't have money for travel at the moment.

As for the Jaguars, playing in Wembley Stadium is better as the transport links are better. But regarding unclevlad's point staying in Britain and not going home makes common sense.

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Speaking of...the Jags actually have consecutive games in London., 2nd and 3rd weeks in October.  Wonder if they're planning to just stay over.  I'd think so;  the flight's over 4000 miles long.  That'd actually be kinda cool.  Actually have a chance to see some of the sights.  One's Tottenham, the other's Wembley, but that's minor.

That's the usual plan. They consider England their second home, after all. And they do well there. Recently, that is. 

We'll see if that sustains.