NFL 2024-25

8 hours ago, death tribble said:

The question was 'Which Game was Brady commentating on ?'

And I now know it was the Dallas game

But you must understand.

On a scale of relative importance, Tommy on the broadcast was a 10...the teams playing was a 1.  

If you buy the hype over him being in the booth...and the gush of ads with him in them that've come rushing out.

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Take the under.

Hmm.  The line's Steelers -3, and the O/U is at 36.5 right now.  Lowest total of the week.  The only other lines under 40 are Chargers/Panthers and Seahawks/Pats.  Panthers are awful, no one believes in the Pats yet (yeah, the state of Ohio is in mass despair, I'd say).

I might still take the under.  Broncos may well not get another safety all season.  Might shoot for a prop bet....total number of FGs in the game.  Over/under of....hmmm...6.5?

33 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Screenshot_20240908-231210.png?ex=66e061

I didn't think Brady was that bad.  He at least actually discussed some of the X's and O's a little bit, which is a nice change.

Not $300M nice though.  That kind of money coulda bought school lunch for a lot of kids.

He wasn't actively bad...which a few are.  But he had no flow.

That said, it reminded me of the early rounds of Food Network's old Next Food Network Star.  They might have, say, a 2 minute "prep this dish while you talk about it" mini-demo...and in most cases, they were really BAD at it.  As the season went on, they got better.  By the time the field was narrowed down to 2 or 3, they handled things...mostly.   And even at that...the difference between what they did during NFNS and their own shows, was major.  I always figured they got MUCH more coaching before they were put on air as Food Network people, rather than hopefuls.  Oh, and similarly...ESPN did the same style of show, for a spot as an ESPN Networks anchor.  The contestants here were probably slanted to sports broadcast journalism majors...and they were rough.

Brady didn't get nearly enough prep.  

4 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

...  The contestants here were probably slanted to sports broadcast journalism majors...and they were rough.

* Shudder *     * Nausea *   Man, that's group that's second only to the Sport & Exercise Science [sic] majors in terms of brain death and utter lack of intellectual merit.  The sports journalism kids are a notch better because they are used to dealing with numbers, like completion percentage and batting average.  But it's a small notch.

Edited by Cancer

42 minutes ago, Cancer said:

* Shudder *     * Nausea *   Man, that's group that's second only to the Sport & Exercise Science [sic] majors in terms of brain death and utter lack of intellectual merit.  The sports journalism kids are a notch better because they are used to dealing with numbers, like completion percentage and batting average.  But it's a small notch.

Third, at best.  You forgot the TV News Anchor majors.

EDIT:  Gahhh...reminded me.  SNF ends around 9:30, so the local station rolls into local news.  They START with all of the........personalities...onscreen, talking about the game that just finished, and probably the Cowboy game, since it's an El Paso station.  And they are so, so, so, so bad at it.  They even try to hook in the weather guy, who's an idiot IMO when it comes to delivering the weather forecast.  It's 2-3 steps below cringe-worthy.

But that's par for the course for smaller-market local news, in my experience.

I have found those to be a mixed bag (though separating out the anchor wannabees from the producer wannabees isn't usually done at the major subfield level).  Most are, as you suggest, on the same level as the mildew in locker room shower stalls.  I have known a couple in my career who actually could think (though they had issues with math); these tended to be double majors (one, I remember, was also in History).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...wasn't a big chunk of the hype over the Jets and Rodgers, that they had one of the league's best defenses?

After that drive after getting the 2nd half kickoff...2 to 1 time of possession advantage, 48 plays, 285 yards (163 pass, 122 rush), 17 first downs (9 pass, 8 rush), 5 separate scores.  That doesn't strike me as a top-notch performance by the defense........

56 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The body cam footage from the Tyreek Hill incident is online.  You should watch for yourselves, but I think...at the very least, the league and team are going to have some serious conversations with him.

The league and team seem to be taking his side.  Not that Hill isn't a special douchebag in general.  But he doesn't seem to have done anything to justify being thrown on the ground and handcuffed in this particular case.

20 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The league and team seem to be taking his side.  Not that Hill isn't a special douchebag in general.  But he doesn't seem to have done anything to justify being thrown on the ground and handcuffed in this particular case.

Have you watched the body cam footage?

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

With sound on.  Four cops shouting contradictory commands so that they can call it "resisting arrest" no matter what Hill does, then when Hill tries to get out of the car they go full MMA on him.  He wasn't threatening or disrespectful in any way that I saw except possibly for rolling his window back up after he gave them his license and reg.  Social media is positive at least one of the cops must have bet against the Fins.

edit: If anyone else is interested.

Edited by Old Man

31 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The problem I have, tho, *is* the first part, where he's rolling up his window.  That is extremely disrespectful and non-cooperative, IMO.  

Did the cops handle it badly?  Yes.  But I am not leaving Hill blameless here...not even close.

I have.

Hill is no saint but there's plenty of wrong to spread around here.

The police's major point of contention is that he was uncooperative because he rolled his window up. And he did, but after he had given over his license and registration and requested the officer write him his ticket. I truly understand that this is a point of officer safety because they cannot see his hands but at no time was that communicated to him.

They went directly from asking him out of the car to grabbing him as he opened the door to comply. They could have turned him around and handcuffed him but instead threw him to the ground and with a knee on his back applied the cuffs. Later, when he was standing beside his car and still handcuffed, two officers saw fit to shove him to the ground with no verbal warning. Both sides exchanged words, but Hill did not curse or insult the officers while there was one officer who was verbally aggressive in his efforts to establish the police's control of the situation. 

Now there is plenty of the footage that I haven't seen, but nothing in what I did see warrants the manhandling. If they had simply turned him around, cuffed him and sat him in the back of a police car, I'd still say that the officers were wrong not to deescalate, but I'd be more understanding. This wasn't a felony pursuit it was a traffic stop. Officers are right to be overly cautious at the beginning, but need to learn how to control their adrenaline.

Camera footage shows police pulled Tyreek Hill out of car - ESPN

Edited by Grailknight

We'll have to see how this latest suit plays out.  Mike Florio on PFT noted that it's possible that the Browns could end up being able to void the contract guarantees for the last 2 years, due to clauses in his contract.  They'd still get hammered with a cap hit, tho.

On the field only...the Browns also got bashed for not playing Watson at all in the preseason.  Writer in The Athletic noted...they flat weren't ready to play.  Watson's had next to no playing time for *quite* a while now.  The article also pointed out...he *is* the problem.  The line was giving him time, he just didn't do anything with it.  

Since he joined the Browns in 2022, Watson has been the slowest from snap to throw on pressured dropbacks of any quarterback across the league (4.60 seconds). Tom Brady, who coincidentally called the game for Fox, was the fastest at 3.26 seconds. 

Can argue that some of it is sheer rust...a total of 12 games over the last 3 seasons.  I don't say that to offer an excuse to Watson;  it's a criticism of the Browns.