NFL 2024-25

6 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Season starts tomorrow.  I predict a Lions-Bills superbowl, which the Lions will win.

Raiders will finish the season 6-11 with two indictments.

Well, this year hubby is cheering on the Lions, so I'm apologizing to Detroit ahead of time...

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

In the words of Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much!"

Great finish for the first game of the season. (Maybe not so great if you're a Ravens fan.) 

I was actually wearing my Ravens watch...built in Baltimore, with a Ravens-purple dial, where the dial color *is* meant to be the team color.

But that was because I felt like picking it...and the dial color, because good purple dials are *rare* and hey, for opening weekend, why not.

Good night since no matter what one of those teams were going to take a loss no matter what.  😁

it seems illegal formation is definitely going to be a point of emphasis for the first few weeks at least.  Weird though that Ravens tackle Ronnie Stanley is specifically targeted several times for that penalty, but there are multiple pics out there showing the Chiefs tackle lined up behind the guard next to him on more than one occasion....

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

it seems illegal formation is definitely going to be a point of emphasis for the first few weeks at least.  Weird though that Ravens tackle Ronnie Stanley is specifically targeted several times for that penalty, but there are multiple pics out there showing the Chiefs tackle lined up behind the guard next to him on more than one occasion....

I think it just comes down to him being one of the reasons for the enforcement change.  The tackles *have* regularly been a half-step back for a while, I think.  It's just likely become a habit, and it'll take some time to adjust.

Of course, if that's the case, well, expect to see quite a few on Sunday.  (I'd include the game in Brazil, but how many people can watch it?)

We know injuries happen, but it does seem there's a particularly vindictive side to injuries on the last play of the game........

Mr. P is happy, his Broncos are gonna be on CBS in the late slot.

Houston-Indy (CBS early)...Vikes-Giants Fox early.  <gag>  Maybe I won't rush to get to the market too early.  And of course, we ALL know what Fox is putting into the national slot.....

Raise your hand if you plan to watch That Game in hopes that Tommy Brady is a terrible analyst...........................

I don't believe I have ever seen a team give up two safeties in the same game, never mind in the same half.

Bo Nix looks like a rookie ... but so does Seattle's entire offensive line. This is not a pretty game to watch.

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

We know injuries happen, but it does seem there's a particularly vindictive side to injuries on the last play of the game........

Mr. P is happy, his Broncos are gonna be on CBS in the late slot.

Houston-Indy (CBS early)...Vikes-Giants Fox early.  <gag>  Maybe I won't rush to get to the market too early.  And of course, we ALL know what Fox is putting into the national slot.....

Raise your hand if you plan to watch That Game in hopes that Tommy Brady is a terrible analyst...........................

For those who don't have Fox (Atlantically challenged) what game are we talking about ?

Oh, and the Vikings won. Yay !

31 minutes ago, death tribble said:

For those who don't have Fox (Atlantically challenged) what game are we talking about ?

Oh, and the Vikings won. Yay !

Tommy Brady's broadcast debut.  Which hasn't been sterling.

The Vikes didn't win a game, they won a live scrimmage.  But it counts in the standings.

But hey, the Giants weren't alone.  Cousins has a pretty miserable game...rating below 60.  Carolina....ohh god gosh.  Young looks it.  Carr puts up all-pro numbers...Saints score on their first *9* possessions.  With help...2nd score was after a pick.  Saints didn't move the ball, but did kick a 57 yarder.  A fumble...didn't move the ball meaningfully again, but kicked a 51 yarder.  A punt from the 10...and a return right back into the red zone.  This one was punched in, right before half.  Last TD looks like it was set up by a shanked punt...play by play says it went 11 yards, and no indication of tip or block.  So Panthers just give gift after gift after gift.

Mmm.......Bo Nix is carrying on the sterling reputation of Bronco QBs in the post-Manning era........

5 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

This is a stupid game. 

Yes, and?  JAGs win easy if ETN holds onto that football.  The game has a certain element of randomness to it.  At least they were in it until the last play; the Raiders didn't even show up for their game.

Meanwhile, former Raiders QB Derek Carr passes for three TDs! ...For the Saints.  Nope, don't think he was the problem all these years.

15 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Meanwhile, former Raiders QB Derek Carr passes for three TDs! ...For the Saints.  Nope, don't think he was the problem all these years.

But does this say more about Carr, or the Panthers?  I lean to the latter, from the stats, because the Saints ran 37 times for 180 yards...with no run longer than 17.  

Speaking of not showing up...the Browns, altho apparently they're dinged up.  That's fine, the Cowboys can look like world beaters for this week, we know they'll lay an ostrich egg soon enough.

Social media is noting that it's the first punt

a) in the 4th period

b) down 1 score

c) in plus territory

since 2016. 

Post-game rationalization, found on Heavy.com:

“We considered going for it,” Pierce said of the decision in his September 8 postgame press conference. “It was a long one. I mean, we got stopped earlier in the game. Punter had done a good job pinning those guys back. I think we had two or three punts inside the 20. Defense was the strength for the most part of the game. Keep [the Chargers] backed up with three timeouts.”

One writer also pointed out that it showed no faith in the offense.  I think we now have the leading candidate for First Coach to be Fired.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Bo Nix looks like a rookie ... but so does Seattle's entire offensive line. This is not a pretty game to watch.

Only saw the last third of the game, and that from across the room in a restaurant where I was with my sister's family.  Wasn't happy when the Squawks let Denver get within 6, but having Smith put a pass in the only place where it couldn't be defended, and having Lockett one-hand it and bring it in, ended the squirming in my seat.

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Tommy Brady's broadcast debut.  Which hasn't been sterling.

The Vikes didn't win a game, they won a live scrimmage.  But it counts in the standings.

But hey, the Giants weren't alone.  Cousins has a pretty miserable game...rating below 60.  Carolina....ohh god gosh.  Young looks it.  Carr puts up all-pro numbers...Saints score on their first *9* possessions.  With help...2nd score was after a pick.  Saints didn't move the ball, but did kick a 57 yarder.  A fumble...didn't move the ball meaningfully again, but kicked a 51 yarder.  A punt from the 10...and a return right back into the red zone.  This one was punched in, right before half.  Last TD looks like it was set up by a shanked punt...play by play says it went 11 yards, and no indication of tip or block.  So Panthers just give gift after gift after gift.

Mmm.......Bo Nix is carrying on the sterling reputation of Bronco QBs in the post-Manning era........

The question was 'Which Game was Brady commentating on ?'

And I now know it was the Dallas game

Edited by death tribble