Strike Force Organizations

Susano

Enthused by this news, I went back to Space Gamer #48 (February 1982), which includes that first article by Aaron Allston about his Strike Force Universe for Champions. I still have my childhood Champions 'stuff' from the 1980s, including this article (and the cover), which I had ripped out of the magazine at some point. I know I didn't buy this issue when it was originally published, but likely a few+ years later in a back issue box in a comic book store (in those pre-Internet, pre-ebay days).  Rereading it again now, I was surprised by how short it was, and by how it seemed to be, in part, a very calculated back-door advertisement for Steve Jackson Games' Cardboard Heroes product. That said, I remember really liking the cover (by Denis Loubet) and the name "Lightrune," but being underwhelmed by Allston's detailing of the PC's 'low rent' early days, and wishing that Allston had added more details about some/all of the PC's that he merely enumerated in tabular form.  Nonetheless, it was definitely enjoyable to revisit. 

Funny, I just re-read that one in pdf the other day myself.  Good stuff, and as you said a nice Loubet cover. 

Also worth checking out the School Holiday adventure by Aaron Allston in issue #51 for some extra nostalgia - and a crop of Loubet villain illustrations.  I've re-used that high school map on more than a couple of occasions over the years.   

And this is what reading through the lore can be so much fun:

[[SIDEBAR]]
DRACULA?

Mircea Dracula is the older brother of  the vampire Vladislas Dracula and half-brother of Radu Dracula. All three were born in the 1400s and are effectively immortal, possessing either mystic or vampiric powers, or both. Mircea is the heroic one of the trio, with Vladislas the King of the Vampires (and the basis for Vlad Dracula in Bram Stoker’s Dracula), while Radu dwells in a pocket-universe where he engages in hedonistic pleasures.
[[END SIDEBAR]]

The Blood is at 22,228 words and I am ... 75% through the characters (working on Sala). Once Sala is complete, I have Shade-leader, Tyrkan and family, Warrior, Venguer, Commodore (and his base, ships, agents, and so on), Bloodletter, and any associated Scenarios. 30k words is my estimate. I also estimate around 30k words for the Circle, with a lot of that the history of the organization (Aaron wrote a LOT) about them,

If this means no Wanderers, I want to ask Jason about making them a standalone. I also want to ask about present Aaron's martial arts styles as a product.

20 minutes ago, Susano said:

The Blood is at 22,228 words and I am ... 75% through the characters (working on Sala). Once Sala is complete, I have Shade-leader, Tyrkan and family, Warrior, Venguer, Commodore (and his base, ships, agents, and so on), Bloodletter, and any associated Scenarios. 30k words is my estimate. I also estimate around 30k words for the Circle, with a lot of that the history of the organization (Aaron wrote a LOT) about them,

If this means no Wanderers, I want to ask Jason about making them a standalone. I also want to ask about present Aaron's martial arts styles as a product.

What's your goal for the book's page count?

25 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

What's your goal for the book's page count?

I have no real idea. I mean... I want to present the three groups and then talk to Jason. So.... assume 400-500 words/page and 60,000 words, we're talking a 150-page book. The actually book will probably be 128 pages.

2 hours ago, Susano said:

I have no real idea. I mean... I want to present the three groups and then talk to Jason. So.... assume 400-500 words/page and 60,000 words, we're talking a 150-page book. The actually book will probably be 128 pages.

Couldn't you just expand the page count with the extra stuff?

Okay, so Commodore (of the Blood) has a base named "Safe Harbor" located near "Long Island’s yachting district." A little research show there's a Long Island Yacht Club, in Babylon, New York, which is surrounded by a lot of small islands. Looks like a perfect real world location.

Then I noticed the town of Amityville near Babylon. And yes, this is the same Amityville as seen in the "Amityville Horror."

I had to mention this in the text and note it makes for a great plot seed for those with supernatural campaigns in mind.

Love to see you adding your own creativity to Aaron's concepts. :thumbup:

On 1/23/2024 at 10:39 PM, Susano said:

stares at the character sheet for Commodore's ship

It has EDM and FTL?

We sure Commodore isn't a Time Lord? :think:

Edited by Lord Liaden

The level of research I go to:

Against All Flags is a 1952 pirate film starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O’Hara. Captain Blood is a 1922 adventure novel, written by Rafael Sabatini. It was made into a film in 1935, starring Errol Flynn as Captain Blood. “In Like Flynn” is a slang phase meaning “having quickly or easily achieved a goal or gained access as desired.” It’s exact origins are not exactly clear. The Black Swan is a 1932 adventure novel, written by Rafael Sabatini. It was made into a film in 1942, starring Tyrone Power and  Maureen O’Hara.

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

Love to see you adding your own creativity to Aaron's concepts. :thumbup:

We sure Commodore isn't a Time Lord? :think:

I have been providing some comments on the material as I go, usually with regards to builds. But that was too good to pass up on.

On 1/14/2024 at 7:48 PM, Susano said:

Anyone who has his digital file archive can find the files I am thinking of. I would need to get the file name, however.

How much useful gaming material (even requiring conversion/updating) is in the file archive?  I never picked it up, and I'm wondering if I should. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

How much useful gaming material (even requiring conversion/updating) is in the file archive?  I never picked it up, and I'm wondering if I should. 

A lot. Like.. on my drive 980 megs or so.

In fact, I JUST FOUND character sheets for Cut-Up and Marie Debray, which means I need to go back and update The Blood. And i have searched those folders a LOT.

Fantastic news on the Strike Force front. I did a high-level search and found PILES of character sheets for the cast of the Circle chapter. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Also, I am presenting the Circle as seen in Org Book 1, meaning the mid-1980s members, who are all built on a base 300 points.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:32 PM, Susano said:

And this is what reading through the lore can be so much fun:

[[SIDEBAR]]
DRACULA?

Mircea Dracula is the older brother of  the vampire Vladislas Dracula and half-brother of Radu Dracula. All three were born in the 1400s and are effectively immortal, possessing either mystic or vampiric powers, or both. Mircea is the heroic one of the trio, with Vladislas the King of the Vampires (and the basis for Vlad Dracula in Bram Stoker’s Dracula), while Radu dwells in a pocket-universe where he engages in hedonistic pleasures.
[[END SIDEBAR]]

Hmmm... So Mircea is a Ventrue, Vladislas a Tzimisce, and Radu a Toreador?