NBA 2023-2024

unclevlad

He's still got to make the roster, altho one of the scenarios discussed is that he plays with the Lakers for a few games at the start of the season...THEN maybe hits the G-League, if he's not NBA-ready.  He's a *late* second-round pick;  VERY few of those see notable NBA playing time without some pretty substantial seasoning.  (And I believe many never make it long term.)

The Lakers may have done him no favors insofar as the locker room goes...the obvious nepotism issue could make things rough for Bronny.  Not that I feel too much sympathy...his NIL deals while at USC were valued at a touch under $6M...far more than even Shedeur Sanders' package, which is #2.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And LeBron will be the flag bearer at the opening ceremony on Friday.  

When I first read this on another site, my initial reaction was "You spelled Simone Biles wrong."

While I may have an issue with some of LeBron's early business decisions, I cannot question anything about his qualifications for this position. This is his fourth Olympics, and he is definitely the most accomplished player in USA basketball history. That said, Simone Biles is also more than qualified for this honor. The determining factor may be that she has carried the flag before.

That's what I was wondering...yeah, I don't think they repeat flag bearers.  

Otherwise it would be a snub.  LeBron's near the pinnacle in basketball, but Biles is one of the slam-dunk, no-doubt GOATs.  There is no other gymnast in history with her resume.  The Athletic noted recently...she has *5* named skills.  5!  And, IIRC...only 1 has been landed in competition by *anyone else in the sport.*  That puts her among the teeny, tiny few that set impossible bars.  Gretzky in hockey...8 time MVP...in a row.  Nadal on clay.  The French, of course, but the lead-ins?  10+ wins at Monte Carlo and Rome (ATP 1000) and 12 at Barcelona (ATP 500).  You can argue overall GOAT, but not clay court GOAT.  Maybe Phelps in swimming?  But possibly not, cuz don't forget Spitz.  There are very, very few that stand out from their peers to the incredible degree Biles, Gretzky, and Nadal did.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Doubtful anyone had a better single Olympics than Spitz (not just 7 Golds but 7 world records!), but Phelps far surpasses him in medals.

Spitz, 1972:  7 events, 7 gold, 7 WRs.  4 individual, 3 relay.  All butterfly and freestyle.

Phelps, 2008.  8 gold.  7 WRs, 1 OR.  5 individual, 3 relay.  Butterfly, freestyle, AND medley.

I'd forgotten just HOW good Phelps' 2008 was, myself.  So...no doubt swimming GOAT?  I'm convincing myself, yes.  Spitz chose to retire after '72.....but...by the same token, Spitz is Jewish.  And '72...Munich.  He competes for GOAT single-Olympics performance, but longevity counts for a great deal with me.  Phelps won 5 golds in '16...his 4th Olympics.  After retiring for a while in '12.

NBA announces the new media deal, which takes effect for the 25-26 season.

TBS/TNT is OUT.  Disney (ABC/ESPN), NBCUniversal (NBC and Peacock, which is, I suspect, the driver from NBC's side), and Prime.  The league rejected a bid by TBS, which reportedly was for the Amazon package.

Some of this looks to be that all 3 will offer streaming in large regions outside the US, which makes sense;  basketball is second only to soccer for international reach.  These will be done through the streaming channels each offers...ESPN is apparently going to offer a direct-to-consumer streaming service.  I'm thinking it's the international side, which TBS might not be able to match, or which might've been viewed as non-competitive with the others...that could've led to rejecting the deal.