A.I is here and it will make the world worse.

Trencher

https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/14/24220658/google-eric-schmidt-stanford-talk-ai-startups-openai

Former Google CEO and chairman Eric Schmidt has made headlines for saying that Google was blindsided by the early the rise of ChatGPT because its employees decided that “working from home was more important than winning.”
The comment was made in front of Stanford students during a recent interview, video of which was removed from the university’s YouTube channel after Schmidt’s gaffe was widely picked up by the press. I managed to watch most of Schmidt’s chat with Stanford’s Erik Brynjolfsson before it was taken down, however, and something else he said stands out. (You can still read the full transcript here.)

While talking about a future world in which AI agents can do complex tasks on behalf of humans, Schmidt says:

If TikTok is banned, here’s what I propose each and every one of you do: Say to your LLM the following: “Make me a copy of TikTok, steal all the users, steal all the music, put my preferences in it, produce this program in the next 30 seconds, release it, and in one hour, if it’s not viral, do something different along the same lines.”

That’s the command. Boom, boom, boom, boom.

A bit later, Schmidt returns to his TikTok example and says:

So, in the example that I gave of the TikTok competitor — and by the way, I was not arguing that you should illegally steal everybody’s music — what you would do if you’re a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, which hopefully all of you will be, is if it took off, then you’d hire a whole bunch of lawyers to go clean the mess up, right? But if nobody uses your product, it doesn’t matter that you stole all the content.
And do not quote me.

At this point, Brynjolfsson points out that, “You’re on camera,” to which Schmidt responds:

Yeah, that’s right. But you see my point. In other words, Silicon Valley will run these tests and clean up the mess. And that’s typically how those things are done.

While Schmidt stepped away from his chairman role at Google in 2015, he remains influential in Silicon Valley and a prolific investor in startups. During this same talk at Stanford, he touts his investment in the AI startup Mistral and being “a licensed arms dealer” to the US military. He also calls Sam Altman “a close friend,” and recalls a recent dinner he had with Elon Musk while praising what the Tesla CEO “gets out of people” who work for him.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

https://pivot-to-ai.com/2024/08/23/microsoft-tries-to-launder-responsibility-for-copilot-ai-calling-someone-a-child-abuser/

Martin Bernklau is a German journalist who reported for decades on criminal trials. He looked himself up on Bing, which suggests you use its Copilot AI.

Copilot then listed a string of crimes Bernklau had supposedly committed — saying that he was an abusive undertaker exploiting widows, a child abuser, an escaped criminal mental patient. [SWR, in German]

These were stories Bernklau had written about. Copilot produced text as if he was the subject. Then Copilot returned Bernklau’s phone number and address!

The Tübingen Public Prosecutor’s Office said that no actual person had made the allegations, so no criminal offense had been committed!

The Bavarian Data Protection Office contacted Microsoft a while later. Microsoft filtered Copilot replies about Bernklau — but a few days later, they returned.

Now that the story has hit the news, Copilot says: [Decoder]

he was involved in a controversy where an AI chat system falsely labeled him as a convicted child molester, an escapee from a psychiatric facility, and a fraudster.

Perplexity’s AI search returns similar results, but names the chat system responsible as Copilot.

Bernklau has hired a lawyer and is suing Microsoft for defamation and invasion of privacy as the organization responsible — whether or not Copilot’s terms of service try to disclaim responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/09/03/ai-worse-summarising-information-humans-government-trial/

Amazon conducted the test earlier this year for Australia’s corporate regulator the Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) using submissions made to an inquiry. The outcome of the trial was revealed in an answer to a questions on notice at the Senate select committee on adopting artificial intelligence.

The test involved testing generative AI models before selecting one to ingest five submissions from a parliamentary inquiry into audit and consultancy firms. The most promising model, Meta’s open source model Llama2-70B, was prompted to summarise the submissions with a focus on ASIC mentions, recommendations, references to more regulation, and to include the page references and context.

Ten ASIC staff, of varying levels of seniority, were also given the same task with similar prompts. Then, a group of reviewers blindly assessed the summaries produced by both humans and AI for coherency, length, ASIC references, regulation references and for identifying recommendations. They were unaware that this exercise involved AI at all.

These reviewers overwhelmingly found that the human summaries beat out their AI competitors on every criteria and on every submission, scoring an 81% on an internal rubric compared with the machine’s 47%.

Meanwhile, in Australia...

Facebook admits to scraping every Australian adult user's public photos and posts to train AI, with no opt-out option

Facebook has admitted that it scrapes the public photos, posts and other data of Australian adult users to train its AI models and provides no opt-out option, even though it allows people in the European Union to refuse consent.

Omnipresent AI cameras will ensure good behavior, says Larry Ellison

On Thursday, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison shared his vision for an AI-powered surveillance future during a company financial meeting, reports Business Insider. During an investor Q&A, Ellison described a world where artificial intelligence systems would constantly monitor citizens through an extensive network of cameras and drones, stating this would ensure both police and citizens don't break the law.

Ellison, who briefly became the world's second-wealthiest person last week when his net worth surpassed Jeff Bezos' for a short time, outlined a scenario where AI models would analyze footage from security cameras, police body cams, doorbell cameras, and vehicle dash cams.

"Citizens will be on their best behavior because we are constantly recording and reporting everything that's going on," Ellison said, describing what he sees as the benefits from automated oversight from AI and automated alerts for when crime takes place. "We're going to have supervision," he continued. "Every police officer is going to be supervised at all times, and if there's a problem, AI will report the problem and report it to the appropriate person."

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

We'll live in our fishbowls and like it!

With the ability to order pretty much everything online, chew the fat with RPG geeks on a variety of forums, charge one's vehicle on a local power grid and receive diagnoses via internet teleconferencing, there is less incentive to leave one's home than ever before.

20 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I wonder if there will be "AI warnings" attached to entertainment the same way food companies now must inform consumers that their products contain bioengineered ingredients...or allergens. I'll leave you to decide which is the more apt comparison.

Edited by Ragitsu