Wizards of the Coast Announces One D&D

Scott Ruggels

On 9/11/2024 at 6:13 AM, Cygnia said:

It is beyond obvious at this point that Hasbro is desperately trying to bring microtransactions to D&D and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.  (It's almost hard to blame them when you see that a single sparkly horse in WoW made tens of millions of dollars.)  The only question is whether they'll destroy the fanbase first or not. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

It is beyond obvious at this point that Hasbro is desperately trying to bring microtransactions to D&D and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.  (It's almost hard to blame them when you see that a single sparkly horse in WoW made tens of millions of dollars.)  The only question is whether they'll destroy the fanbase first or not. 

You're not wrong, but (to the annoyance of Hasbro) there's a lot more to D&D than what WotC makes.  Maybe they'll manage to alienate existing players and turn off potential new bloods to the point where their profits implode, but if so it'll be ten-twenty years before the sudden loss of growth in the overall RPG community affects people beyond the walled garden WotC is crafting.  And honestly, their business model is already so familiar in the PC/console gaming industry it probably won't cost them all that many people despite the outrage in that video.    

Well, it is a good thing that I bought the dead-tree game books when 5E came on the scene.  We had a conversation about D&D 2024 at our last monthly game.  For now we'll stick with what's now called "legacy" content.  Otherwise, maybe I can dust off my Pathfinder or Tales of the Valiant books.

I’ve done the Solo Play twice now. It’s fun and surprised that it gives some choices. I tried the scare rats option and I only had to fight two Giant Rats instead of three.  Talking to goblins doesn’t work and if you run you get auto hit for two points of damage-ouch. Still (and I’m not sure) I think he rewards you if you listen first and search first.