Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Chester Zoo celebrates birth 'of one of the world's rarest animals', an onagar which is a form of donkey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevwe9j50l5o

Ackshually an onager is a form of siege weapon.  It is known.

I've actually been to Chester Zoo, but I suppose there may have been some changes in the last... 38 years.

15 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Which means you were there in 1986.

So why did you not give me a call when you were over ?

Is there any explanation necessary?

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Between social media's growth and the buying pattern changes from the pandemic, AND the general (bad) state of publishing, this isn't that surprising.  

I saw a story the other day that a holding company that owned wineries has basically folded.  Factors?  Overbought, expanded too fast before the pandemic.  Then the pandemic hits, and they're massively strained.  Another factor, tho...report is the entire US wine industry is suffering from a general decline in wine drinking.  The switch isn't to beer, either;  Brewer's Association reported beer sales for '23 were down 5%.  Some of it is still hard seltzers, drawing down beer sales to a degree, but apparently a variant...the pre-packaged cocktails.  Some of this...is social media's ability to drive fads.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I always assumed that it was supposed to be a way to bring you back into GameStop, but there's very little in-store beyond a bunch of used games. Computer games are mostly digital at this point (I believe that Civ 4 or 5 in a retail box was really just a way to connect to Steam to install it). Same with many of the platform titles.

I'm more likely to find accessories at Amazon or Target or Walmart, because GameStop is frequently out of stock.

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I always assumed that it was supposed to be a way to bring you back into GameStop, but there's very little in-store beyond a bunch of used games. Computer games are mostly digital at this point (I believe that Civ 4 or 5 in a retail box was really just a way to connect to Steam to install it). Same with many of the platform titles.

I'm more likely to find accessories at Amazon or Target or Walmart, because GameStop is frequently out of stock.

Yeah, that's a big point.  Everything's pretty much downloaded, and by and large, people have high-speed connections.  Even if it takes half a day...mother of torrents, some of these modern games are freaking HUGE.  

https://gamerant.com/pc-games-file-size-hd-space-biggest-huge/

Baldur's Gate 3...150 Gb.  That's, what, 30-odd DVDs?  That'd add a *substantial* amount to the cost, and arguably has serious issues...with 30-odd DVDs, what're the odds they're all good?  A good download/install routine can verify files as they're downloaded, but with burning them, I think you'd have to scan the whole thing.  This'd make burning very, very, very slow.  It also makes for a pretty darn painful install process.

GameStop for accessories?  Even back in the day...I didn't consider them for that.  

38 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Yeah, that's a big point.  Everything's pretty much downloaded, and by and large, people have high-speed connections.  Even if it takes half a day...mother of torrents, some of these modern games are freaking HUGE.  

https://gamerant.com/pc-games-file-size-hd-space-biggest-huge/

Baldur's Gate 3...150 Gb.  That's, what, 30-odd DVDs?  That'd add a *substantial* amount to the cost, and arguably has serious issues...with 30-odd DVDs, what're the odds they're all good?  A good download/install routine can verify files as they're downloaded, but with burning them, I think you'd have to scan the whole thing.  This'd make burning very, very, very slow.  It also makes for a pretty darn painful install process.

GameStop for accessories?  Even back in the day...I didn't consider them for that.  

I check them when I'm impatient enough to not wait for Amazon. I maybe buy something from them every 1 - 2 years, and probably never over about $75 for any given sale (3 years ago, it was a Rubik's cube for my desk, marked down to about $8).

Last year, I had bought a Nintendo Switch, and quickly tired of the controller frame that converts the joycons into a dinky controller. I tried my nearest GameStop, who attempted to send me to one of the other 16 stores in Las Vegas on the chance that they may have the Pro controller. Instead, I went to the Walmart in the same plaza and bought it there.

Several years back, I was starting to have issues with an XBox One controller, and went out to the same GameStop, where they had a brand new controller marked down to about $30 on clearance. I figured that it looked okay, and was cheaper than the standard black controller, so I bought it. 

10132277?$pdp2x$

Edited by Ternaugh
Typo

Usa Today has a story on the release of a book about Ortiz, the Border Patrol serial killer. The story is a list of facts about the case and how Ortiz was inside the network hunting him. Interview with the author states no one knows why he did what he did.

Guy stole 300k from a local church and family. Sentenced to eight years and to pay restitution.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/crime-courts/man-steals-money-from-church-restitution/article_a4ee9210-49ee-11ef-b181-076b1f96f987.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

CES