Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

On 7/10/2024 at 11:50 AM, Starlord said:

Freakin' terrible, clickbait headline from a brainless editor...

The story offers up a time frame around which chickens were probably domesticated...but assuming they were being domesticated at least in part *for* eggs, it'd be nonsensical to suggest eggs were sought-after...and thus, must have been consumed before this.

The case against Alec Baldwin for the accidental shooting death on-set has been dismissed with prejudice, meaning it can't be re-filed.  Why?  The state had received some ammunition that may have pertained to the case.  Per NYT, it was put aside and apparently, never really checked "because they didn't resemble the rounds in this case."  The judge had the rounds brought into court...and lo and behold?  3 of them did.

That's a total no-no.  That's concealing evidence.  The entire case got tainted, as the rounds were a big factor.  Pretty sure dismissal with prejudice was about as automatic as it gets, here.  It's also a major black mark on the prosecutor's career...this is just bad case management.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The case against Alec Baldwin for the accidental shooting death on-set has been dismissed with prejudice, meaning it can't be re-filed.  Why?  The state had received some ammunition that may have pertained to the case.  Per NYT, it was put aside and apparently, never really checked "because they didn't resemble the rounds in this case."  The judge had the rounds brought into court...and lo and behold?  3 of them did.

That's a total no-no.  That's concealing evidence.  The entire case got tainted, as the rounds were a big factor.  Pretty sure dismissal with prejudice was about as automatic as it gets, here.  It's also a major black mark on the prosecutor's career...this is just bad case management.

Youtube coverage.  Prosecution puts herself on the stand(!) at around 8:36, she runs her mouth for 20 minutes, and there's another 20 minutes of cross examination by the defense (!) and the conclusion.  I don't usually watch Legal Eagle but I'll be looking for his installment on this one.

Scientists make DNA discovery that could help find pancreatic cancer cure

Scientists have made a crucial DNA discovery that could help cure one of the deadliest cancers.

A team of researchers from the UK and US have found that pancreatic cancer is able to shut down molecules in one of the body’s most important genes, helping the disease to grow and spread rapidly.

Pancreatic cancer is the 12th most common cancer worldwide, with more than half a million people diagnosed every year. It has the worst survival rates of all the most common forms of the disease.

The deadly nature of pancreatic cancer has stumped experts for years but the breakthrough offers hope in the hunt for a treatment that could wipe out the disease.

On 7/13/2024 at 1:28 AM, Old Man said:

I don't usually watch Legal Eagle but I'll be looking for his installment on this one.

Yeah, I'm waiting for this one too. Seems like the prosecution put on a complete clown show, and failing to disclose the evidence was the last straw. I saw a clip of her reading the dismissal, and she looked very peeved.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for this one too. Seems like the prosecution put on a complete clown show, and failing to disclose the evidence was the last straw. I saw a clip of her reading the dismissal, and she looked very peeved.

The last hour of that trial was riveting.  The prosecutor insisting that she wanted to put herself on the stand in a last ditch effort to justify the withholding of evidence.  The judge and the defense gently encouraging her not to go through with such a stupid career-limiting maneuver.  (You can see the defense talking amongst themselves like, Can she do that?  Why on Earth would she want to?) The defense then getting the opportunity to force the prosecutor to announce to the court that the other prosecutor had resigned, and then forcing her to admit she hated Baldwin. 

I just wish the camera had zoomed out so we could see the judge's reaction to her testimony.  There had to have been a lot of facepalming.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

The last hour of that trial was riveting.  The prosecutor insisting that she wanted to put herself on the stand in a last ditch effort to justify the withholding of evidence.  The judge and the defense gently encouraging her not to go through with such a stupid career-limiting maneuver.  (You can see the defense talking amongst themselves like, Can she do that?  Why on Earth would she want to?) The defense then getting the opportunity to force the prosecutor to announce to the court that the other prosecutor had resigned, and then forcing her to admit she hated Baldwin. 

I just wish the camera had zoomed out so we could see the judge's reaction to her testimony.  There had to have been a lot of facepalming.

I suppose throwing your career into the garbage disposal, then running it on overdrive, does count as career-limiting.

11 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This is a good example of why I don't think we'll ever have a cure for cancer *generally*.  It points out that its mechanisms and causes vary greatly...which, of course, if you catch US TV ads for several treatments, is made even clearer, because their disclaimers are so long..."its for when you have this, this, and this, but don't have this and this."  HIGHLY variable.

But hey, if this helps?  Coolios.

28 minutes ago, death tribble said:

James B Sikking notable as the SWAT commander in Hill Street Blues passed away on Saturday 13th July aged 90

Star Trek fans know him as Captain Styles of the Excelsior in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and he also played Dr. David Howser, father to Doogie Howser, M.D.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2024/07/15/james-sikking-dies-hill-street-blues/74405918007/

Newhart was my father's favorite back in the '70s.  Probably was for two decades more, but I left home in 1978 and was no longer plugged in to his entertainment preferences.

Very nice explanation of some of the low-level issues.  The zero-day issue is a big concern with malicious software.

CrowdStrike's production management team is going to have a lotta 'splainin to do....  They should be the last word, the final set of eyeballs to ensure this *didn't* happen, and they blew it.  Unclear how much this is going to cost the company, but I suspect...rather a lot!  And *major* reputation damage.

Yeah, it lost 13% just today, I see.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/21/business/crowdstrike-outage-cost/index.html

A point they make is, they may not lose many existing customers...but may well have a much harder time finding new ones.  Enterprise software isn't like personal software.  Migration is a MUCH, MUCH larger issue.  At one point, the university that employed me, switched their enterprise accounting software.  The process took *months* to complete...because it's not just the software.  At this level, there's pretty much no such thing as turnkey.  Everything has to be fitted to the organization, and that's a 2-way street.  There are legal issues that vary from installation to installation, given that we had federal contracts, including classified work.  There were several tech reps from the new software company, assisting in tuning their software, for that period.

So that path...too dangerous to move away, but too damaged a rep to select for a new installation...makes a great deal of sense to me.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

CrowdStrike's production management team is going to have a lotta 'splainin to do....  They should be the last word, the final set of eyeballs to ensure this *didn't* happen, and they blew it.  Unclear how much this is going to cost the company, but I suspect...rather a lot!  And *major* reputation damage.

Word on the street is ClownStrike canned most of their QA department a while back and gave those duties to the devs and maybe AI.

Oh look, if it isn't the consequences of my actions!