Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

First-ever mRNA vaccine halts pancreatic cancer in its tracks

mRNA vaccines have gained widespread attention for their crucial role in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet, even before the pandemic, researchers at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center were investigating the potential of mRNA vaccine technology in the fight against cancer.

At the heart of this innovative approach lies the concept of neoantigens, proteins found within pancreatic tumors that serve as alarm bells, alerting the immune system to the presence of cancer cells. These neoantigens play a pivotal role in rallying the immune response to keep pancreatic cancer at bay.

Owwie...

FAA investigating cabin pressure problem that injured passengers aboard Boeing plane

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating an incident this week aboard a Delta Air Lines flight from Salt Lake City in which a cabin pressurization problem with the Boeing 737-900ER aircraft caused a number of passengers to bleed from the nose and ears.

Medical personnel met the flight at the gate and identified 10 passengers who needed treatment or evaluation, the airline said.

23 hours ago, Cygnia said:

The FAA investigation is routine for all pressurization issues, and is not necessarily related to recent headlines regarding Boeing’s safety record.

The investigation is routine, that I completely believe;  pressurization issues are extremely serious.  That said, I this investigation will be FAR more intrusive and skeptical than most.

9 hours ago, Grailknight said:

It's strange. I'm on the Alabama coast and our local news isn't raising red flags beyond warnings to boating. Granted the center line of the projected track is 240 miles to the east, but I'd expect more from this type of storm.

When I was at lunch, cable news was projecting class four. Be careful out there, Grailknight.

CES  

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Rush is also blocked for most of their songs.

The volatility of streaming services is why I still buy music. I'm not really into vinyl*; I prefer having albums on CD, DVD/Blu-ray, or lossless download (like from HDTracks), though I'll take AAC or MP3 if there's no other way to get it. The music's then added to my Plex server (and multiple backups), which allows me to stream just about anything in my collection.

* Analog "warmth" isn't necessarily a selling point for me, and most LPs manufactured since the early 80s have a digital stage in the production chain**.

** Many modern LPs use master tapes encoded in Direct Stream Digital (DSD)--it's the format that Sony introduced almost a quarter-century ago for Super Audio CD (SACD).