Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Word on the street is ClownStrike canned most of their QA department a while back and gave those duties to the devs and maybe AI.

Oh look, if it isn't the consequences of my actions!

If that's true, then their liability exposure may have just greatly increased.  The CNN story talks about it.  If they fired the QA department, then there may be grounds to void the contract provisions, for gross negligence.  Given that the damage estimate is about 1/4 of their total revenue, they may be in serious!!! trouble.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

If that's true, then their liability exposure may have just greatly increased.  The CNN story talks about it.  If they fired the QA department, then there may be grounds to void the contract provisions, for gross negligence.  Given that the damage estimate is about 1/4 of their total revenue, they may be in serious!!! trouble.

Good.  They took a lot of internet offline, including airlines and hospital emergency rooms.  People could have died.

Down my way...FBI has 2 clear persons of interest for arson, for starting the Salt River fire...and multiple others.  Based on shoe prints and tire tracks, and sightings at multiple events.

I wish them the best, and hope the culprits' remaining time outside a jail cell is quite limited.  

Offending post removed and poster issued a warning.

I'm not going to change the title of the thread for the same reason that I'm not going to change the title of every other thread on these forums -- there is a singular thread on this site where political discussions are allowed. The poster in question is well aware of that.  A new user on the site who appears to honestly not know any better will be handled accordingly.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-finally-know-how-the-strong-force-gets-its-strength/

I don't know how many people here are interested in particle physics, but the article ends in a conclusion I find rather gobsmacking.

In brief, the "Strong Force" is one of the four fundamental forces of the Universe. It holds quarks together into protons and neutrons, and those particles into atomic nuclei. It is also difficult to study because it only operates on very short ranges. Mathematically, it is also incredibly difficult because it interacts with itself. In contrast, for instance, electromagnetism is relatively easy to handle mathematically because photons, which carry the EM force between charged particles, do not themselves have charge. But th whimsically named glueons -- the particles that convey the strong force -- themselves have the charges that they mediate, so while a gluon passes between two quarks, it also exchanges gluons with other gluons, which exchange gluons with even more gluons, and so one forever.

By a mix of good luck and hard work, the authors found a way to measure the strength of strong force interactions, and some mathematical hacks with which to interpret the resulting data.

One consequence is that quantum chromodynamics -- the quantum theory describing the strong force -- now generates only finite values. Others (notably quantum electrodynamics, the theory describing the EM force) can generate infinities, which are mathematically awkward.

Second, physicists now can say how much of the mass of ordinary matter (ot dark matter, which remains unidentified) comes from the strong force interactions within protons and neutrons. (Resmember your Einstein: All energy has a mass equivalence.) It's 99%. The remaining 1% -- the mass of electrons and the quarks themselves -- comes from the Higgs field. So, yeah. The strong force is a big deal. It's most of what we are.

Dean Shomshak