Pariah

Max Verstappen won the Italian Grand Prix under a yellow flag caution put the Safety Car on the track for the final five laps while a driver had his car fail and was waiting on the sided of the track for rescue.

I'm sure Max would have preferred a more exciting finish to the race, but he'll take it -- points are points. The Dutchman is 116 points clear of his nearest rival, and the lead continues to widen from race to race. For perspective, a win in a GP gives the driver 25 points in the standing, so his nearest competitor would have to win five straight races and Verstappen does not get any points at all to win the championship.

Even so, Verstappen  still a change at the top for F1. Lewis Hamilton was known for his demeanor and the surgical precision of his driving; Verestappen, on the other hand, has mastered reaching the pole and making others chase him. In Italy, Verstappen closed the gap from his #7 starting position on the grid to get to the "championship points" places in the first five laps of the race, and even at Lap 20 it was clear the only thing that could stop Max from winning the race was him crashing his car.

There's an interesting story here:

https://incoherency.co.uk/blog/stories/sockfish.html

about how one can cheat in a live game, but note the problems.  And this was amateur play;  I doubt the method would work against a master, it seems unlikely a Pi could play at that advanced a level.  

So, I have to leave the door open that Carlsen believes the rumors, and is going a bit off the deep end.  That wouldn't be unique in the chess world.

Interesting article about conference realignment

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-realignment-is-changing-college-football-in-20-maps/

A point about the secondary sports:  most often, teams would be taking buses to road games;  flying is seriously expensive for a non-revenue sport. The compact conferences...not a real problem.  The conferences as they are now...big problem.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Geelong beat Sydney in the Australian Rules Football Grand Final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_AFL_Grand_Final

The Sydney/Collingwood prelim final ended up great. 30 point lead by Sydney going into 4th qtr and I think they won by 3 points or something, I know came down to end.

Sorry to see how big a blowout the GF was, but then Geelong did the same thing to Brisbane in their prelim final.