2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Huh, well, missed that one.

David Culley got fired today.

Nice golden parachute tho.  Perhaps literally.  His contract was fully guaranteed...3 more years.  Total of $17M.  Considering he's 66...maybe volunteering to coach at a high school or small college sounds pretty good.  Obviously, his retirement is set.

EDIT:  this was bouncing in the back of my brain;  the echoes were deafening...

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/26166/houston-texans-set-coach-david-culley-to-fail-then-fired-him

One of the more thorough shred jobs I've seen in a while.  And of note:  I checked.  The preseason over-under win prediction for the Texans was....4.  And the article notes, the situation will be worse next year, quite possibly, with a MASSIVE amount of dead money counting against the cap.  And with an owner and GM that appear to be erratic at best.  With a horrible roster construction that'll take multiple years to turn around.  This may well be the worst opening in the NFL.

No coach that isn't in the position that Culley was in last year(aging and never had any other offers) should want this job.

The Texans have 30+ million in dead cap space before accounting for the 40 million that DeShaun Watson hits the cap for. Until they get his situation settled, and a great deal of it is out of their hands until the lawsuits are ended, they can't get much for him in trade. And I doubt that even the second tier free agaents will want to join a franchise that treated a coach so badly.

Nor would any free agent who's looking to...you know...WIN, go there.  They're actually OK for 2022, but I saw 15 players whose contracts expire after 2023.  So the future is likely turbulent.

It's not surprising that NFL.com lists the Houston job as the worst HC opening.  Below the Giants.

Well, enough of that.  Break out your bones.  Brew the tea.  Spread the cards.  Use your favorite method...but, I'm sorry to say, reading the chicken entrails is NOT permitted...and make your Fearless Football Prognostications!!!

Saturday is afternoon and night slots

LV vs. Cincy...I kinda see Burrow having a good game.  Weather's gonna be cold at least.  So Bengals.

Pats vs. Bills...sorry haters.  Hope I'm wrong here, but in rematches, I like the team that lost last time around.  Belichick will make the changes.  Pats.  

Sunday is standard 3 slots

Eagles vs. Brady...duh.  Again, hope I'm wrong, but no way I'm picking against Brady here.

Niners vs. Cowboys...should be no contest;  Cowboys by a lot.  That said, they play poorly often enough.  Still...yuck...Cowboys.

Steelers vs. Chiefs...Ben has his retirement speech ready to roll for the postgame, I bet....

Monday

Cards vs. Rams...which team makes the fewest mistakes?  Cards have lost 4 of 5, scoring 23, 12, 16, 25 (win), and 30.  Lost to the Lions, Colts, and Seahawks.  Beat the Cowboys but that's a big source of my concern about the Cowboys.  Nope.  Can't pick the Cards, even tho Stafford is also exceptionally shaky the last few games.  So...I'll pick the Rams.

Yeah, it'll take the direct intervention of Dwight Clark's ghost to let the 49ers advance.  Doesn't stop me from hoping, though.

In general, though, I suspect you're correct, which generally means the team I dislike more will advance in every game.  The exception is the Rams-Cardinals game, where I can't figure out whom I dislike more.  Before the Seahawks franchise popped up while I was in college in Seattle, I was a Rams fan (going back to the Roman Gabriel era).  The Rams' move to St Louis cured me of that.

"I would say when you rewind here and go back to a year ago ... I'd say the organization was in a pretty rough spot, and I think from where we were then to where we are now, we're in a lot better position," Caserio said Friday. "And quite frankly, I think that's because of the leadership and the guidance and the direction that David Culley brought in this football team."

--Nick Caserio, Texans GM

So your coach put your team in a better position...yet you fire him anyway.

This isn't the political forum, so I think I'd best stop right there...other than to say, the Texans are on my Loathe list now.  Heck, they've moved below the Raiders and Jags, since both excised their cancers.  

Raiders are showing they don't belong.  2 big mistakes already, still the 1st quarter.  On a kickoff, grab the ball right at the sidelines?  Then fall OB.  First down could've been at the 25, if the ball goes into the EZ;  could've been at the 40 of it just went OB.  And it was going that way.  Instead...it's at the 2.  Do players NOT THINK???

They're lucky to avoid the safety on 3rd down.  HECK!!!! of a punt...54 yards with not much return.  Still, Bengals have great starting position.

29 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Yeah, the Raiders botched the kickoff return, started at the two yard line, and lost yardage on the drive. That's just sad.

That’s not sad, that’s Raiders football. 

As much as I’m pulling for the Raiders here, I won’t mind if the Bengals win. Over the long term they’re the underdog. Decades without a playoff win is Jets-level futility. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

That’s not sad, that’s Raiders football. 

As much as I’m pulling for the Raiders here, I won’t mind if the Bengals win. Over the long term they’re the underdog. Decades without a playoff win is Jets-level futility. 

Except that the Jets played in 14 playoff games between 1998 and 2010, winning 7.  

Mind you, since then......

The hallmark of Jets futility is their mastery in losing spectacularly.  Marvin Lewis made an artform of keeping most games close...and getting burned at the end too often.

Considering all the bizarre things that happened with the Raiders this year, they put up a pretty good fight at the end of the season and at the end of this game. I give my grudging respect, while simultaneously hoping my team won't screw it up for the 7th consecutive year next season.