2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

"I've done far worse than kill you, Coach Belichick.  I've hurt you.  And I wish to go on hurting you.  I shall leave you as you left me, as you left Trevor Lawrence.  With 4th down on your own 1 yard line, 1 second left and Johnny Manzell as your QB....Johnny Manzell...Johnny Manzellllllllll....."

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Jags might be doing better if they were owned by Shere Khan.

The Talespin Shere Khan would be a formidable and dangerous owner of a team.  He is so darn smart that he can really put the fear of unemployment into head coaches, while secretly being very patient with them. The weird thing is that he views his employees as vital to his success.  But woe betide the player who pulls a stunt like AB's, because Mercy is rarely a word Shere Khan uses in polite company.

I thought they were keeping "The Jags" but buying the rights to "Jagged little pill" for their new run out of the tunnel ballad...

"I just called to Remind you!

Of the Bonds you pay for this Stad-ium!

Of the taxes I evade! Oh oh oh! You 'oughta know!

?

So the latest NFL circus has run its course.  Antonio Clown's contract has been terminated.  (Adam Schein of CBS used that, and it's totally appropriate so I will steal it.)  He, of course, goes off on a rant trying to defend himself.  Hopefully his time in the league is done;  his particular circus won't be, of course, for a while.  Sadly....

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

So the latest NFL circus has run its course.  Antonio Clown's contract has been terminated.  (Adam Schein of CBS used that, and it's totally appropriate so I will steal it.)  He, of course, goes off on a rant trying to defend himself.  Hopefully his time in the league is done;  his particular circus won't be, of course, for a while.  Sadly....

AB's excuses fall flat given that he falsified his vaccination status, refused to let team doctors look at his ankle, and did jumping jacks on his way off the field.  That said, I'll bet money he has a solid case of CTE and I hope he gets the help he needs.

18 minutes ago, Old Man said:

AB's excuses fall flat given that he falsified his vaccination status, refused to let team doctors look at his ankle, and did jumping jacks on his way off the field.  That said, I'll bet money he has a solid case of CTE and I hope he gets the help he needs.

No bet;  I'm not an idiot.  If not full-on CTE, then that or something similar in earlier stages.  But that won't stop the media circus;  the only thing that does, is time.

I'm a big proponent of developing long-term EEG histories.  Starting in at least the power 5 college programs, or even the entire FBS.  Don't want to be?  Go FCS.  Hey, if that trims FBS to 50 or so schools, that's fine with me.  The problems:
--from a PR perspective, if it showed, let's say, 15-20% of college players show notable shifts, and 35-40% of regularly-playing pro players do...that's so, so bad.  It proves the case that football is *dangerous*.

--There's a big question in my mind of how this would be used.  Assume AB's EEG is off, consistent with early/mild CTE.  Is he forcibly, medically retired?

--For the NFL, the liability question is huge.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So AB gets onto a podcast and unloads, including on Tommy Boy.

Neil Everett's comment..."Et tu, Antonio?"  One of his better ones...

And they show a portion of it.  AB comes across as a whiny, petulant, SPOILED, self-centered little <bleep.>  

H

I was watching the clip and my wife, who is a huge football fan, ordered me to change the channel after the 6th or 7th time he referred to himself in the 3rd person....

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And they show a portion of it.  AB comes across as a whiny, petulant, SPOILED, self-centered little <bleep.>  

All of this surprises me not even a little bit. I'm not sure what Antonio Brown's problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

On a more serious note, though, it looks like the guy is in need of serious help. I hope there is a mechanism in place for him to get it. I hope at some point he will realize that he needs it.

15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

H

Solipsism (the belief that the world does in fact revolve around yourself) seems to be a common condition among wide receivers. The quarterbacks get all the attention, but the WR demands the attention because without him the QB would be bad. The running back's contributions are often overlooked because the forward pass is much more spectacular, and fans love spectacle. Plus the RB takes as LOT more hits than the wideout does.

No wonder AB is so full of himself. The unfortunate question is whether they actually prepared him for life after football. That's when the problems really start. What do you do when you have all these great toys but suddenly can no longer play the property tax or the mortgage on them...

Well, the Broncos' 2022 opponents are now known. In addition to the six games against the Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers, the Broncos will play the AFC South (Titans, Colts, Jaguars, and Texans), the NFC West (Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams, and 49ers), the Browns, the Jets, and the Panthers.

I can only hope that Cam Newton is still with the Panthers when that game happens. He's never beaten the Broncos.