2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Yeah Stafford is about the tenth best QB in the league.  He's good enough to get you there with a supporting cast, but he can't drag the rest of the team to the ship like Brady or Brees could.

I actually think Goff is decent, just not as good as Stafford, and was destined to fail in Detroit.  As a thought exercise, imagine what would happen if Mahomes or Rodgers wound up in Detroit.  Would they even make the playoffs?

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

In 12 seasons in Detroit, Matthew Stafford couldn't win a single playoff game.

In one season in Los Angeles, he ended Tom Brady's career and won a Super Bowl.

How screwed up is the Detroit Lions franchise?

Cam anyone remember Detroit making moves to upgrade?  Free agent signings or trades, other than dealing Stafford?  

I doubt it's coincidental that the Pistons haven't been higher than 8th in the East since 2007-8, the last good year for the Hamilton/Billups/Wallace lineup.  And 8th in the NBA means you get the conference #1 seed.  Yeah, they've been swept all 3 times.  

The Tigers were up and down there for a while in this stretch, but that's also baseball.  

So maybe the franchises are part of the problem...but one has to wonder if there's a negative perception about Detroit, disinclining players from going there.  Especially to the bad teams.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I actually think Goff is decent, just not as good as Stafford, and was destined to fail in Detroit.  As a thought exercise, imagine what would happen if Mahomes or Rodgers wound up in Detroit.  Would they even make the playoffs?

Goff wasn't exactly excelling with the Rams in the last couple of years.

And OK, say Stafford's about #10 among QBs.  Rans sent Goff, a pair of 1sts, and a third round pick.  The third was in 21, the 1sts are 22 and 23.

So push come to shove, Goff's valuation is...well...minimal.  Would Stafford be worth a pair of firsts and a third, all in the same, current, year?  That feels excessive, but let's say that would've been OK.  So Goff is valued at no more than pushing those first round picks forward...and not all that far.  Goff was rated #22 with the Rams in 2020...and start looking at the ones below him, it's hard to sink lower on a playoff team.  Fitz, Tua, Dalton, Bridgewater, Trubisky, Cam, Drew Lock, Minshew, Wentz, Darnold.  And from 2019:

With Todd Gurley's decline and the offensive line's destruction, Goff took a major step back from his first two seasons under Sean McVay. While the former No. 1 overall pick still unfurled high-level throws on a weekly basis, his consistency waned and he crumbled under pressure.

Ratings from NFL.com.  

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Cam anyone remember Detroit making moves to upgrade?  Free agent signings or trades, other than dealing Stafford?  

I doubt it's coincidental that the Pistons haven't been higher than 8th in the East since 2007-8, the last good year for the Hamilton/Billups/Wallace lineup.  And 8th in the NBA means you get the conference #1 seed.  Yeah, they've been swept all 3 times.  

The Tigers were up and down there for a while in this stretch, but that's also baseball.  

So maybe the franchises are part of the problem...but one has to wonder if there's a negative perception about Detroit, disinclining players from going there.  Especially to the bad teams.

You forgot about the Red Wings. They suck too.

I did blank on them.  But it's hockey, so who can blame me?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

But you can't say they've sucked long term.  That's only been the case since the 2012-13 season;  they haven't won a playoff series since, and missed the playoffs the last 5 years.  But after the 2005 season with the lockout, through the 12-13 season...won 12 playoff series, won a Stanley Cup, made it to another final.  Right now they're sitting 9th in the Eastern Conference, which means they don't make it, and they're 8 points back of 8th, while also having played 3 games *more*.  There's still 30-odd games left but that's a sizable gap to make up, so it seems unlikely they'll make the playoffs this year either.  

Don't like the Pittsburgh home unis;  the orange shoulders are pretty bad.  Don't like the Stars' unis at all;  red-yellow combos often clash, they're both too bright.  Michigan...yeah, the sky blue is out of place.  For me, tho, it's the road pants.  The home pants are an old gold...love it.  The road pants are, what, salmon?  Love the blue shade the Breakers are using.

All in all?  Not bad.  They look professional.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:40 PM, Logan.1179 said:

If I'm a Detroit fan, I'm more pissed than ever. They had Stafford & Megatron and could do nothing. There are so many holes there. 

I'm sure it didn't help when Detroit's coach told them he was "trying to catch lightning in a bottle" and the next day, half of the team brought him their container of lightening foundation.

So now Flores is saying he left a massive chunk of cash on the table as he left, refusing to sign anything that included nondisclosure language.

The Dolphins have responded with another round of denials in...IMO anyway, farcical terms.

You can thereby guess where I stand.  Does anyone buy the 'Fins' story?  

Flores' lawyers showed a screenshot of a draft that suggested NDA language.  Not that I need this, but if it does go to court......

The Fins are sounding like every other 2-bit cheap shot artist.  Hamilton.  Floyd Landis (another TdF winner).  Bonds.  Clemens.  The list is so long that we forget the names.  And abysmal owners like Dan Snyder.  

Former 1st-round NFL draft pick Paxton Lynch, arguably the worst Broncos pick in recent memory, is now a 12th-round USFL draft pick (Michigan Panthers).

This just days after he was released by the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Notable players still on the board when the Broncos traded up to get Lynch include Derrick Henry, Tyreek Hill, and Dak Prescott. 

Aaron Rodgers won't take a COVID vaccine but he will do this.

Panchakarma, meaning "five actions," is a five-procedure program that works to clear out the ama. But, first you have to prep your body. The first preparatory step is "internal oleation," in which you drink about two ounces of clarified butter every day for three to five days (or longer). If you're worried about your cholesterol, you can use flaxseed oil instead.  [...]

Once that prep work is done, your doshas are "ripened," and you can move on to the five actions. They include: "therapeutic vomiting"; laxative therapy; enemas of oil and teas; nasal flushing with herbal powders, oils, or clarified butter; and blood purification, traditionally done with bloodletting or herbs said to purify blood. Bloodletting is dangerous and, in the US, it is only approved for a small number of very specific conditions.

Admit it friends, you needed to know what is going into Aaron Rodgers' sphincter.  You're welcome.

<rolling in laughter>

"I got a quarter of million people to <insert implausible disgusting action> by their own free will just by saying without evidence that I did it!  What should I suggest next?  Tide pod soup?  Doing push-ups in fire ant nests?  Flaming tequila shots in hyperbaric oxygen?"

40 minutes ago, Cancer said:

<rolling in laughter>

"I got a quarter of million people to <insert implausible disgusting action> by their own free will just by saying without evidence that I did it!  What should I suggest next?  Tide pod soup?  Doing push-ups in fire ant nests?  Flaming tequila shots in hyperbaric oxygen?"

How about just 30 days' service in Covid ICU wards, helping the nurses?

Original USFL ex-owners file lawsuit aimed at new USFL, potentially halting start of spring football league

I have to say, I find the timing interesting. The (new) USFL rolled out their uniforms and held a talent draft in the past couple of weeks, and the old owners are just now taking action? The return of the USFL has been in the works or well over a year, IIRC. Why now?