2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

I never blame a veteran player from retiring due to injuries.  Did any of us even play high school football?  Even at that level, those hits are HARD.  I completely agree that the criticism Luck took was moronic.  We have no clue how his body felt.  

I don't know if Bridgewater's concussion was a tipping point;  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Parham's was.  Those arm motions are not something you see that often, and I *think* indicates it was on the severe side.  Bridgewater's might be;  what scares me from the video is how his neck bent.  I'd want to get assurances that there's no upper spine injury.

It's really too early to say, but both certainly looked bad enough so both of em might well be sat for the rest of the year.

The Bears are committing Seppuku By 1000 Cuts tonight.  

Yeah, the Bears are playing like crap, but I'd love to see them go to those uniforms full-time. Those are slick.

And as an aside, I did play football for a year in high school. I gave it up because the coach was a jackass. Looking back, he probably saved me from who knows how many head injuries and probably eventual CTE. (I played offensive and defensive line.) I should probably be grateful to him for that.

I'm not convinced it saved you............

Seriously ugly game.  The Vikes are still in the hunt for a playoff spot...and that's considered a good thing?  

ESPN standings show the Bears are eliminated.  Nagy just lost it several times...including an unsportsmanlike.  The team's awful.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.  That is one BAD team, and one big issue is discipline...which he's not showing either.  So I'll say, I think he's getting coal in his stocking.

I never played football, despite being reasonably large.  I had learned back in 5th-6th grade that I won't work for a coach I can't respect.  That described only one of the football coaches in the high schools I attended; and I learned he was a decent individual in the spring before we left that location (his predecessor had been a narcissistic idiot, but when you're at the smallest American school in Europe you don't get a lot of choices).

So, we're down to only 3 games left.  The NFC is where we expected it to be.  The top 5 are still the top 5;  one more win and they're in.  The Niners are a game clear of the Vikes, Eagles, and Saints, but with a tricky schedule...Titans, Texans, Rams.  Rams will likely be playing for the division and first round home field (possibly even 1st and 2nd rounds.)

The AFC is still utter chaos.  The 3 doormats (Jets, Texans, Kittens) are the only 3 eliminated, and, I suspect, anyone who wins out will make the playoffs, or at least be in the tiebreaker.  The Broncos are only given a 5% chance, but they've got to beat 2 better teams, and probably beat the Raiders while playing Drew Lock.  Everyone else is 11% or better.  This is of course before we find out the next round of Covid "adjustments."

10 minutes ago, Cancer said:

The officiating was at the same level.

I wasn't paying much attention, but I do remember that, at least in Bears-Vikes, the refs lost control of the game very badly.

And I'm still surprised Nagy hasn't been fired.  Fine, they've never done it, but come on, what do you need?  Shad Khan learned at least a little something.  Nagy has completely failed.

Why wait?  Avoid the rush.  It's not like it's a borderline call, or that the last 3 games will make the slightest difference.

Just how fraudulent can a 7-7 record be?????

Pro Bowl selections are out.  

Denver has....................none.

Same as 5 others...Jets, Giants, Jags, Texans, and Lions.  Of course, right now those teams have the first 5 picks in the draft.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, unclevlad said:

Just how fraudulent can a 7-7 record be?????

Pro Bowl selections are out.  

Denver has....................none.

Same as 5 others...Jets, Giants, Jags, Texans, and Lions.  Of course, right now those teams have the first 5 picks in the draft.

Of course, four of the Broncos' seven wins are against those teams....

12 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Baker Mayfield may be the best QB this version of the Browns franchise has ever had, but honestly, would you really want to pay this guy top QB money?

That's damnation by faint praise.

Looking at the stats?  he's not worth *average* QB money.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

25th in QBR.  (And, yes, the ones that are behind him are the on the teams you'd expect.)

24th in PAA, points above average.  At -14.  So his play's been notably below an average NFL QB.

26th in PASS, which is based on points added on pass plays.  

He's 18th in career QB rating among active QBs, behind Bridgewater, Wentz, Carr, and Mariota.

So...yeah, he might be a better actor than QB.

26 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Baker Mayfield may be the best QB this version of the Browns franchise has ever had, but honestly, would you really want to pay this guy top QB money?

Are you kidding? Because this isn’t a serious statement if you are a Browns fan. What is the better option they can attract or draft? Ever in recorded human history?

It’s the Browns, man. Everyone rooting for them should just be happy he’s there. He’s definitely a top 20 franchise quarterback (even with the struggles this season he’s like 22) and that’s unheard of in modem memory for Cleveland.

The competition at QB for Cleveland is not Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes. It’s Ryan Leaf.

36 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

That's damnation by faint praise.

Looking at the stats?  he's not worth *average* QB money.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

25th in QBR.  (And, yes, the ones that are behind him are the on the teams you'd expect.)

24th in PAA, points above average.  At -14.  So his play's been notably below an average NFL QB.

26th in PASS, which is based on points added on pass plays.  

He's 18th in career QB rating among active QBs, behind Bridgewater, Wentz, Carr, and Mariota.

So...yeah, he might be a better actor than QB.

This seems a little unfair given that he’s been severely injured all season. 

One thing to note about Cleveland...

Their last possession, they get it to a first down at midfield, with a minute left, all 3 timeouts, and down *2*.  So FG to win.  The kicker's made an XP and a FG at this point.

They averaged almost 9 yards per rush.  But throw the ball 3 times in a row, with the last getting picked.  Mayfield's strength is NOT in the straight drop-back.  So you gotta put some of the onus on the play caller.

If the Cards lose this one, they're in serious trouble.  Oh, they'll probably make the playoffs;  10 wins should do it.  And the Colts aren't a bad team.  BUT, they're down 4 offensive line starters and one of the backups.  The Cards *should* be able to smother the Colts offense...but right now the Colts have the 6 point lead, and Arizona's offense has done nothing.

Ravens Tyler Huntley goes on the Covid list...so with Lamar Jackson out they will have to start Josh Johnson, who signed 10 days ago and hasn't started in 3 years.  Whoever wins this game will likely win the AFC North.

Somehow, my Bengals will bleep this chance up.