2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

16 hours ago, Cancer said:

I admit I don't understand why the Rams signed him; I would not have called wide receiver a spot where the Rams badly needed help.

The question becomes: can Stafford throw to his WRs well enough to make it worth it?

Other question, with OBJs ego, are there enough footballs for Stafford to throw. Far as I remember, they only get 1 at a time, but maybe they will change the rules for them.

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

https://www.therams.com/team/depth-chart

Kupp is fine;  Woods isn't a prime #2, tho.  And what it comes down to is whether you believe OBJ can be the Pro Bowler...or just another prima donna.  The guy with maybe the most recognized, most replayed catch in the last 20 years, or the surly whiner who doesn't put out the effort regularly.  A LOT of this could be wishful thinking, there's no doubt of that.  

One of the things with the Rams is they expect their WRs to block, and Woods and Kupp are good at it. Will OBJ be willing to do so?

13 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Other question, with OBJs ego, are there enough footballs for Stafford to throw. Far as I remember, they only get 1 at a time, but maybe they will change the rules for them.

As I understand it, the issue in Cleveland was that Odell likes to freelance and it throws Baker off when his first read isn't where he expects him to be.  This chemistry issue persisted for two years and it wasn't going to get better.

13 minutes ago, slikmar said:

One of the things with the Rams is they expect their WRs to block, and Woods and Kupp are good at it. Will OBJ be willing to do so?

OBJ is one of the better blocking WRs in the league.

So Chuckie got spanked and now he's foaming at the mouth (again).  He's suing Goodell and the league for the release of the emails, claiming intentional, malicious defamation, based apparently only on the point that no one else's were.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this gets tossed out rather quickly, but I'm no lawyer.  Nor am I impartial.

I'd say that filing a suit like this is burning every bridge to come back he might've had, but the emails were major overkill in that regard already.

You aren't unique there.  Been wondering about his popularity off and on...just found this:

https://morningconsult.com/2021/11/09/aaron-rodgers-vaccination-state-farm/

And it looks like I'm stuck with it as the late game.  ARGH!!!!  I refuse.  I absolutely REFUSE to watch Rodgers during the regular season.  Playoffs...I'll get back to you.  Maybe there'll be some college basketball on.

Sometimes analysts deserve to be relegated.  

Greg Olsen, on the Cowboys-Falcons game.  28-3 Boys;  they block a punt for another 6.  34-3 as the first half is coming to a close.  Atlanta has 12 men on the field on the XP;  Dallas elects to go for 2.  Olsen goes, "they're really keeping their feet on the gas pedal, they're going for the kill shot!"  

What?  Like there's any real difference between 31, 32, or 33?  Like there's any real drama left???  Might as well practice your 2 point conversion.

Another instance of the most common major faults:

--every play is dramatic and important!!! play it up!!!!

--diarrhea of the mouth..."I am analyst so I must analyze!"  Shut up sometimes!!!!  Olsen, I'm pretty sure, is relatively new to the job but even seasoned analysts blow this one.  (Aikman!)

33 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Well, We lost again, but we did make a game of it in the second half. Kicker still missed 4 points, too, so no we're not really happy. 

And Detroit, we feel ya. So close!

But really, I have to ask what happened to the Browns? 

This for starters...

Cleveland Browns DB Troy Hill hospitalized with neck injury, has movement of extremities

Yuck.  A neck injury on a meaningless play with the game totally decided.  Bites any time, but it always feels so much worse when nothing is on the line.

On youth football, this is from an article in a Baltimore sports mag from last year:

Overall football participation of those ages 6-18 has declined 24% over the last 12 years, dropping from 2.5 million to 1.9 million. Only seven states saw a rise in high school participation levels over the last dozen years, while 13 states saw a drop of 20% or more, including Maryland, according to the NFHS. Midwest football powers Ohio and Michigan joined ‘The Free State’ in seeing their numbers drop by more than 20%. Thirty-two states saw a drop of at least 10% at the high school level over the last twelve years.

Forbes reports a similar number...could well be the same original source.  These are from 2020...the Forbes story *predates* the start of the pandemic, so that's not an issue.  (Yeah, I know, Life Before Covid is beoming more and more vague every month.)  I have no doubt it's the injury issues, pricipally concussions and the related problems.  Concussions and CTE dominate the airwaves.  There are occasional deaths, too;  these don't often get much more than local coverage, especially at the high school level.  And it's not a large number, but still.  And there are more serious injuries...not even head/neck related.  By "serious" I mean affecting quality of life long-term.  A really bad bone break like Alex Smith's;  a hit that ruptures a spleen.

And almost no other sport has these risks.  Some *do* have risks...gymnastics and diving lead to situations where the athlete takes a seriously bad fall.  Baseball is mostly safe...but getting hit by a pitch, or a pitcher hit by a batted ball, can lead to severe injury.  But the numbers are a LOT lower.  Soccer's being looked it;  concussion from repeated headers is a growing concern.  Especially, I suspect, in youth soccer.

Anyway......

Yeah, Dallas showed they didn't show up.  Denver showed that, indeed, their choice to give up on the season was justified.  And much tho some of you don't want to hear this?  Pats are showing that wishing Brady well *was* a good move.  Their rebuild is coming along.  Granted that their schedule's been favorable, but wins over the Chargers and Browns are respectable enough.  Brady winning the SB doesn't counter that;  they didn't have the tools last year even with him. 

And speaking of Brady...another weak game by the Bucs.  Not time to panic yet, but I do remember Elway's last year, and Peyton's.  The roll-off during the season was notable.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

It is, however, worth noting that both John Elway and Peyton Manning won Super Bowl titles in their final years. John Elway won his second.

But not due to their brilliance...closer to say, despite their limitations.  Manning averaged less than 6 yards/attempt in the 2015 playoffs, and less than 180 yards passing per game.  And that Denver defense was one of the best ever.  Elway had better numbers overall, but IIRC he got some surprise big plays in that run.  And he had Terrell Davis, who had an AWESOME year.  (Football Reference says Davis was the NFL leader in Approximate Value...pretty much the equivalent of baseball's WAR.)

On 11/11/2021 at 2:22 PM, Cancer said:

I admit I don't understand why the Rams signed him; I would not have called wide receiver a spot where the Rams badly needed help.

The question becomes: can Stafford throw to his WRs well enough to make it worth it?

Just revisiting this to point out that the day after the Rams signed OBJ, Robert Woods blew his ACL at practice.