2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

He's not the first successful college coach to stumble in the NFL.  College is about recruiting and getting monetary support from donors (including illegal support, and not getting caught at that, or at least not getting caught at it until it's too late to matter).  Creative cheating is the hallmark of all college coaches.  Modulo incompetence by the GM in draftings and signings, all NFL teams recruit in the same way and impressing high school parents is not part of the skillset.  And, NFL teams watch their own and each others' budgets much more jealously, so it is harder to cheat at personnel.

We're more or less 25% through the season and here are my takes:

HAHAHAHA Steelers.

The Jets got a win sooner than I thought.

Wow the Chiefs are scary bad at defense. 

Were the Raiders Overrated? Or are the Chargers really scary?

How long will the whiplash over QB play last for the Saints.

Panthers were supposed to suck Now I have to pay attention. 

4 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Always the joker, eh?

The sad part is the joke is usually on myself. 

46 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

Were the Raiders Overrated? Or are the Chargers really scary?

We all do it, but it's not a good idea to read much into the early parts of the season.  Ravens were week 1;  lots of teams aren't really ready.  Steelers are not looking good at all.  Dolphins are 26th in ESPN's power rankings:

Name the offensive category and the Dolphins are either near or at the bottom of the NFL's rankings. Entering Monday night, Miami was 31st in scoring, 31st in total yards, 30th in first downs, 30th in passing yards, 26th in rushing yards -- need I go on?

Yet the Raiders had to go to OT.  So their 3-0 was somewhat suspect;  the Steelers are 24th.  IIRC Baltimore was disorganized and didn't play well;  then there were 2 soft games.  So that 3-0 wasn't as illusory as Denver's, but still not a lot to it.

So I had the baseball game on...kinda spaced the football game.

Decided to switch over.

AGHHH!!!  MY EYES!!!!!   MY EYES!!!

<hits the Last button on the remote>

The Seahawks are wearing those Day-glo flourescent green unis.  Tops and bottoms.  GAH!!!!!!!

Just for that, GO RAMS!!!!

The light rail cars running to downtown were full of football fans as I was on my commute home (going the opposite direction).  Three new stations on the rail system opened only last weekend (and I'm using the northernmost of them), so this was the first time I'd seen the phenomenon.

I wonder if I could get a Brain-Burn Green Seahawks jersey with an old-time Seahawks player name and number on it (I'd like to get #22 Dave Brown).

Even with everyone being pass-happy...

In the abomination known as the London game, I happened to just turn it on now because, well, I don't need to see pre-game shows for over an hour.  Matt Ryan completed his 5000th pass.  Which puts him 7th all-time.  Wow, I did not realize.  Some of it is, the Falcons have had more terrible seasons than good ones.  But he's also done it very quickly...second fastest, behind Brees.

And the influence of the modern game?  The top 14 is Brees, Brady, Favre, P. Manning, Rivers (another semi-surprise), Big Ben, Ryan, Marino, E. Manning, Rodgers, Elway, Stafford, Moon, and Carson Palmer.  Note that Marino, Elway, and Moon completely predate going pass-crazy, and Favre straddles it...but he was pass-crazy anyway. :)  And played forever, and *every* game.

13 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

CBS isn't even bothering to show the Jags game locally today.

They'll probably win.

Might have something to do with the fact that they're now considered the worst team in the league...

Oh...I see the problem, I think.  Miami's also playing at the same time...against Tampa Bay.  At the same time, and the game's also on CBS.  There's mention in the blackout article on Wikipedia that the same CBS station shows both, in the Orlando market.  So that might be it.

Yeah, those Falcons unis...the gradient, but to me even more, the numbers.  The slash mark serifs on things like the 3 and 6, in particular.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

In the abomination known as the London game, I happened to just turn it on now because, well, I don't need to see pre-game shows for over an hour.

That happens to my capital city. I lived there. We are grateful for the opportunity to see any NFL team play in the country.

And the Vikings won. It was against the Lions but a win is a win.

The Broncos lost when they failed to convert a fourth down for the first time this season, but it was a lot closer than I expected. All in all, this game tells me something important about the team: as long as we can keep Drew Lock off the field, we've got a chance.