The 2020 Monsters Versus Alien Superdraft

csyphrett

12 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

My "historical relic"....Imhotep!

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Imhotep_(remake)

imhotep.jpg

Already picked him Friday

CES

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Oi! New job is frying my brain. I'm going to have to withdraw.

Sorry PG. PG's picks are back in the pool

CES

I don't think I like the reply merge

CES

On 9/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Pariah said:

It may be a couple of days before I jump in. I want to see what direction other people are going before I commit to anything.

That, and the fact that I have approximately a metric buttload of papers to grade right now.

Wondering what your plan is...

It's Sunday afternoon and it's time for a recap. I know promised Friday night/Saturday morning but I was wiped when I got home from work so the recap was the last thing on my mind.

First order of business is Pattern Ghost's picks are back on the table. So CONTROL and Mt Rushmore are pickable for agency and place of base operations.

So this was start up list for the draft:

The first thing you need is a base of operations and a sponsoring organization for your monsters

The next things you will need in no particular order is a five monster team of monsters

1) The Big Guy

2) The Brain

3) The Shapeshifter

4) The Historical Relic

5) The Leader (who can be the token human on the team.)

One Alien as the enemy

Three optional choices for weapons, other monsters, other aliens, particular humans

So going into Monday, everyone should have sponsor and base and four picks. 

My sponsor and base is Project M and New York. My four picks were Rick Flagg as the leader (Suicide Squad experienced), the Kraken as my big guy (water capable, bigger than most boats, lot of tentacles) Tohru as my shapshifter (shapeshifting dragon capable of magic, flight, launching a human sized projectile into orbit), and Imhotep as my relic (the mummy with magic powers.)

I need a supersmart monster to fill out my roster, and then the enemy alien and my three options. (I might go with x the man with x ray eyes and Deadshot for two of those slots, but x doesn't seem to be monster enough. I might have to do some research.)

Psybolt grabbed Monarch and Derry, Maine for his sponsor and base.

He has Pennywise for his shapeshifter. He picked Jekyll and Hyde as his leader (I am glad he didn't reverse those). Seth Brundle is his brain (Shades of the Original Fly and Dr. Cockroach). And he picked George the Gorilla from Rampage as his big guy (The second giant monkey in the draft at this point)

So Psybolt is caught up for the second half of the draft with only the relic left for his team and his enemy alien and three options

Dr. Mid-Nite came out with the Science Patrol from Ultraman as his organization and Setayga as his base. The Red King, also from Ultraman, is his big guy. With the Mummy out of the picture, he still needs most of his team to be put together, and his alien and three options.

Cancer picked the Forge as his alien fighting agency with a base in Antartica, home of the mountains of madness. Typhon, the father of monsters, is his big guy. He grabbed Humbaba from Gilgamesh as his Leader. He grabbed Vucub-Caquix as his relic.  I'm saying that Cancer's theme is monsters from ancient peoples. 

Next, we have Log. His sponsor is the SGC's rivals and enemies, the NID based out of Washington. He came out with King Kong as his big guy. He picked the Robot Monster as his brain. The Olmec is his shapeshifter. The Golem is the relic for his team. Logan's team needs a leader, and then he is set to run for Alien, and his three options.

Bone Daddy grabbed MIB and its undersea base. He picked the Judas Bug from Mimic as his shapeshifter and the Blob as his big guy. So he needs the rest of his team; Relic, Leader, Brain, his Alien enemy, and his three options.

Hermit comes in with the Organization from Cabin in the Woods, basing its defense of the world from Transylvania. His leader is Dracula. His big guy is Smaug. He needs the rest of his team; relic, brain, and shapeshifter, and his alien and options.

Lucius Alexander has two picks so far. His base is the Fortress of Solitude in the Artic and his organization is the Monster Squad led by Gopher from the Love Boat. His big guy is Frankenstein's Monster. He needs the rest of his picks to fill out his draft.

Some thoughts on the draft so far.

We have two dragons and two giant gorillas in the draft.

I think Cancer is going to pick one of Lovecraft's alien races as his enemy to go with the ancient monsters he has been picking. I think Mid-Nite will pick one of Ultraman's enemies, but could see him pick Ultraman himself as the enemy. I had thought Psybolt would pick more King monsters but his picks have thrown me.

We have all the universal monsters picked out except for the Wolf Man and the Invisible Man (if the Invisible Man qualifies as a monster. If someone picks him, I am not going to disallow it. I may pick him myself because I need a brainy monster.) 

We still have twenty two monsters that need to be picked. If you have to pick a nameless species to fill out your quota, I think you should go ahead.

CES 

Our shapeshifter: Aswang, from Filipino folklore.  (Most mythological shapeshifters tend to be actual deities, whom I think of as distinctly different from monsters; and I discount creatures who had a shapechange imposed on them by another power.) 

I think that concludes the team.  Options and Aliens remain to be picked.

"Well, there go the Amber Alerts"

"Look, she's old and moldy but she's ancient and powerful and she knows things..."

"Is she human?"

"If she ever was she lost it long ago."

"I just don't know how inimidating she's going to be to a group of aliens. Oh look out, here comes a tiny house with chicken legs... and hope you didn't bring any kids along your invasion"

"She can summon demons"

"She..can?"

"And they listen"

"Huh, yeah that could be useful"

"Also, if Dracula tries something against she might keep him in check so say 'thank you, grand ma' and tip your hat already"

"I don't wear a hat"

"You should. Maybe a nice trilby?"

"You think that doesn't scream creepy loser?"

"For you, it can't make it worse."

"Thanks I.. hey!"

Historical Relic: Baba Yaga

baba-yaga.jpg

Okay, jumping in now.

Sponsoring organization: Children’s Television Workshop d/b/a/ Sesame Workshop

Base of operations: Sesame Street

200?cb=20190615215139

The Leader: Cookie Monster

218266-050-77C3D624.jpg

“All me want to do is enjoy me cookies in peace!” Someone’s come to cause trouble on his Street, and he’s just the monster to set things straight.

The Big Guy: Super Grover 2.0

latest?cb=20110219210025

He’s got superpowers! Of course he’s the Big Guy! (Besides, Big Bird isn’t technically a monster, I don't think.)

The Brain: Count von Count

Count_von_Count_kneeling.png

He’s clearly a savant, and probably a polymath as well. You can’t even count high enough to reach his I.Q. But he can.

The Shapeshifter: Elmo

Elmo_SH2018.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit

In Elmo’s imagination, Elmo can be many things! A bird, a fish, a kitty-cat….

250?cb=20060325062133  280?cb=20060503131257  250?cb=20070614024944

The Historical Relic: Oscar the Grouch

250?cb=20100821020622

(You did know that in the earliest days of the show, Oscar was orange instead of green, right?)

You can definitely hear him yelling “Scram!” at the interlopers, can’t you?

Alien: Gonzo the Whatever

e1903aca465d30c52afe83390457e14b.jpg

Canonically established as an alien in 1999’s Muppets from Space. He’s always sought to find his place in the world, and he’s decided that place will be Sesame Street.

And that should catch me up.

"Not to be rude, but none of our picks so far are tech savvy, Dracula thinks streaming is an attempt to hold him back with running water"

"Funny"

"Thank you"

"But you right, that's why we got our hands on a really smart monster to help them out.."

"Yeah? Up to date?"

"One might say way ahead of us"

"Oh this is a bad idea I can tell"

"Relax, we know where the off switch is, and this is an alien INVASION... we need shock troops and with this we have mass production."

"So Baba Yaga can summon spirits and demons, Dracula can create more vampires, and this can build killer robots... you think maybe this 'need an army to fight an army' thing might possibly bite us in the ass one day?"

"If we lose the earth to aliens, my golden parachute is kaput. I'm not risking that just because you have technophobia"

"That goat farm is looking better and better, all I'm saying" But they flipped the switch

WELCOME TO SKYNET  came on the screen You've got MURDER BOTS!

The Brain: Skynet 

Made here on good ole Earth...in a dystopian future timeline

Central_core_pic.gif

Approaching the Earth, the aliens came, destruction and death in their hearts! To human eyes, they were misshapen with beastly marks upon their brows! Cruel blades were in their hands! They howled and scoffed in their rough tongue, their commander's voice carried from ship to ship. They would land soon, appearing like demons out of the nether to begin the slaughter of any who would defy their blood thirsty crusade!

If only we could understand their threats?

"Today is a good day to conquer!

We travel to a planet of sheep. Where the cowards feed their youth to dark gods  in ritual sacrifice rather than slaying the troublesome pests! These ancients become a threat to the galaxy itself. Where others debate, we shall act. We will do what the humans will not! We shall make this planet ours, and kill the gods within it. Perhaps, when they see our courage, the people of Earth will see what true bravery is, and be inspired to be worthy servants of the Empire!

For Glory! For Honor! Death to the Ancients of Earth!"

Alien pick: The Klingons!

18dxxeoiyq9fsjpg.jpg

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Okay, jumping in now.

Sponsoring organization: Children’s Television Workshop d/b/a/ Sesame Workshop

Base of operations: Sesame Street.....

And that should catch me up.

Believe it or not, I guessed this was going to be it back when you made your "unsnipeable" assertion.  I had already selected my concept before that, so I wasn't going to go out of my way to interfere....

On 9/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, csyphrett said:

Cancer picked the Forge as his alien fighting agency with a base in Antartica, home of the mountains of madness. Typhon, the father of monsters, is his big guy. He grabbed Humbaba from Gilgamesh as his Leader. He grabbed Vucub-Caquix as his relic.  I'm saying that Cancer's theme is monsters from ancient peoples. 

I think Cancer is going to pick one of Lovecraft's alien races as his enemy to go with the ancient monsters he has been picking....

Not a bad guess ... I was originally thinking along those lines ... but our Alien adversary pick is ... Gozer the Gozerian!